VIMTO Eggless Chocolate Cake

Thursday, July 27, 2017

This recipe of VIMTO Eggless Chocolate Cake was made during Ramadan and took this long for me come around and draft...everything happens in a stipulated time for good reasons... so is this post. :-P

VIMTO Eggless Chocolate Cake


The main reason I was MIA (missing in action) is that I had no urge to blog and it is better to listen to your inner self than do for the sake of it. I have always mentioned, I blog to keep a record of my recipes while sharing some of the cherished events of my life but never thought I will have so many readers who reach out to check when I go quiet on social media. Alhamdulillah for such caring souls. You guys truly motivate me to come back to blogging.

VIMTO Eggless Chocolate Cake


While I may have gone quiet over the social medias, I have started to actually have a real - old school social life. :-P Living alone here with or without kids can drive you insane if you don't have a medium to transfer the energy in the absence of a friend body. The men will never understand nor feed our need for "conversations". It is the girl-time - don't you agree?

Post Ramadan, Z the lady I talked about in this post and I have kinda made it a routine to take turns to spend the whole day at each other's place once a week. Which gives us the opportunity to taste different food, a play mate for her son (me), and new friends for Ragee. :-) MashaAllah, I have been thoroughly enjoying the time with her and to watch Ragee play with Z's son is a treat! Alhamdulillah. She is far more foodie than me and it is such a delight to have a friend who shares the same passion. You will see more of her food pics on my Instagram!

VIMTO Eggless Chocolate Cake


Alrighty, lets me talk about today's recipe... My chocolate cake cravings never die, only the intensity differs which decides the consumption rate. :-P  Most of the time I give myself a microwaved mug cake and sometimes I quickly bake a small cake and have it all for myself. Last week I tried my hands in baking an eggless brownie for the first time and it started the chain of desserts for the entire week... So my this week sugar calorie intake was like this...

Friday - Chocolate brownies
Saturday - remaining brownies
Sunday - Basbousa ( mango)
Monday - remaining basbousa
Tuesday - lemon jelly in whipped cream
Wednesday - Tiramisu
Thursday- planning to fry the sweet mini samosas stocked up in freezer, Insha Allah
Friday - We have a dinner party to attend :-P

and lately, my recent posts are also desserts... let me go with the mood... and keep the savoury for later.

VIMTO Eggless Chocolate Cake



This cake was my another attempt to use VIMTO and it can be replaced with any flavoured water of your choice. Without VIMTO this is the classic Depression Chocolate Cake that became popular during the Great Depression and now even more popular because it is an Eggless recipe. As it is a small sized cake, we finished the same day for iftar and then the rest for Suhoor. :-P

VIMTO Eggless Chocolate Cake

INGREDIENTS

For the Cake: 
Dry Ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Wet Ingredients
1 teaspoon VIMTO
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup water

For the frosting
1 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoon VIMTO (divided)

METHOD

  1. Grease lightly and line a 2-litre pressure cooker with baking paper 
  2. Keep a flat pan on the stove on medium flame. This is the preheating stage.
  3. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
  4. In an another bowl, combine VIMTO, vinegar, oil and water. 
  5. Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until completely combined and no lumps remain.
  6. Pour batter into a greased pressure cooker. Close the lid but remove the weight and place the pressure cooker on the pan.
  7. Bake for first 15 minutes on medium flame and then reduce to low flame and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre, comes out clean.
  8. Remove the cake from the cooker and spread a few tablespoons of VIMTO over the cake
  9. Now, let the cake cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
  1. Sift the cocoa powder to make it lump free. 
  2. Melt butter in the microwave and stir in cocoa powder to form a thick paste.
  3. Transfer chocolate mixture to a medium size mixing bowl. Whisk in the powdered sugar and VIMTO until frosting is smooth and creamy.
  4. Spread the frosting on top of completely cooled cake
  5. Serve immediately and refrigerate the leftover. 
A very simple and easy to whip up the cake that is baked on the stove-top pressure cooker. 

VIMTO Eggless Chocolate Cake

At first, I was not impressed by this VIMTO Eggless Cake but when we had a "rested" cake, it was delicious and addictive that we felt bad we judged it too soon. :-) So this cake tastes better after resting it for a few hours when the VIMTO is absorbed well. So let me call it Drunken VIMTO Cake :-D

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery