Mango Semolina Eggless Cake

Friday, July 07, 2017

I know! I know mango is going off the shelves and here I am posting a flourless mango cake recipe that has my favourite ingredient - Semolina. I was in a dilemma on what recipe to post next and it took me a whole week to make up my mind. Thank's to Instagram that reminded me of World Chocolate Day - 7th of July and I came to my desk immediately to write up and share my Eggless Chocolate VIMTO cake (I had shared on Stories) but this Mango Semolina Eggless Cake is long over due. My current state is - if I am offered to choose between a chocolate bar and mango, I would definitely go with latter because healthy weight loss starts with healthy choices.

Mango Semolina Eggless Cake

Now, you may say but this is a cake! Yes, but flourless, eggless, less sugar and fresh mango pulp, and to top it with some pistachios - I am for it anytime. Btw, the tiny book featuring in the pictures here is Deutsche liebesgedichte, which translates to German love poems. No, we don't know to read German but Google does.  That cute book came with some books that F got as a gift. It is so cute and apt for my love for the Mango Semolina Cake. :-) 

I quickly googled if there is a World Semolina Day which I think we deserve, but there isn't one. I don't want it to be clubbed with pasta because Semolina is a whole different world of food possibilities. Anyways, now I don't want to go with the flow - only dead fish does. So without much chattering... let me share the universal recipe of Mango Semolina Eggless Cake.

I mentioned universal recipe because, I checked a dozen and more recipes to see any variations of this cake - but each one out there in the web world is exactly the same - so I truly don't know who to give the credit to. The difference is only in the shape of the cake, the mango variety, the sugar quantity. But as a blogger who gets inspired, I would like to share that this inspiration is from two sources - Rafeeda and Kaveri Obhan

Mango Semolina Eggless Cake

I made this cake before Ramadan and spent the whole afternoon trying not to eat all of it while waiting for Mr. F. I ate the one in the plate after the shoot. Then I ate another with my evening tea. So F got to eat less and asked for more :-) We may have a difference in opinion of many things under the sky but our food choices are so much alike - makes my life so easy. Alhamdulillah. 

Stopping the chattering for sure this time... here is the recipe for the soft, semolina rich, pulpy sweet mango cake with flavours of rose water, pistachios and cardamom playing a light background score in each bite. 

Mango Semolina Eggless Cake

Mango Semolina Eggless Cake 

INGREDIENTS

1 cup fine semolina
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar (adjust as per the sweetness of the mango)
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1 cup fresh mango pulp that is thick (drain any excess juice for laters)  (I used 1 big badami mango)
1 teaspoon rose water
2 tablespoons crushed pistachios

METHOD

  1. Preheat the pressure cooker on a low flame with a stand inside the cooker and lid (without the gasket and regulator) closed. 
  2. Grease the pan lightly and line the pan with baking paper with excess extended on either side so we can lift up the cake once done. 
  3. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients like the fine semolina, sugar, cardamom and baking powder.
  4. Gradually add the oil and mix well. 
  5. Next, fold in the mango pulp and mix until homogeneous. Let the batter rest for 10 to 15 minutes. 
  6. Transfer the batter (which is thick) to the greased loaf pan and garnish with the chopped nuts.
  7. Place the pan in the pressure cooker, close and reduce the flame to low to medium and bake for 30-35 minutes or until it clears the toothpick test. 
  8. Check with a toothpick or knife inserted in the middle of the cake and if the knife comes out clean then remove the pan immediately and lift off the cake with the help of excess baking paper and let it cool on the counter. You can also remove if you see the sides of the cake browned because if it is kept any longer, the cake will become hard because it is semolina based. In case it does become hard, then you can sprinkle some drained mango juice or syrup. 
  9. Slice and serve as is or with more fresh mango juice. 
Mango Semolina Eggless Cake

This is my first time making a mango based dessert because we always prefer to eat the King of fruits fresh as is each time for the entire season. I never get bored of it. I gave this recipe a try only because it has Semolina. 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery