Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

These mini sweet samosas have become my Ramadan tradition starting this year. Trust me, no one can stop with just one or ten! Both kids and grown up kids enjoy this treat and let me tell you, every mini samosa you made will be off the plate in no time! 

Tiny, crispy, samosas filled with cream cheese, almond and date paste and extra sweetened with middle eastern flavoured sugar syrup - are ADDICTIVE! 

Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds

I am going to keep this post short because I am going to bombard you with lots of pictures. These samosas are not new, in fact, I had pinned this last Ramadan from Tasbih's blog Cleobuttera along wth her three-cheese samosas that I did make last year Ramadan. I strongly feel Pinterest is not for me because I am a hardcore to-do list strike-r  - if you know what that means - if something is up to do, it better get stricken - else it bothers me - a lot. So Pinterest means a whole pile of to-do that I tend to get overwhelmed every time I open the app! So these days it remains only as Photography Inspiration 😝

Anyways, that is how it took almost a year to revisit my "must-try" pins and thanks to Shabina Afzal of Shabosphere who brought back these mini samosas on Instagram, that created a tornado! 

Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds


So, inspired by Tasbih and motivated by Shabina, I made them for our iftar even though my partner was sceptical. But like Tasbih promised, we couldn't stop with just one or 10 or 15 - I had made around 25 and all was over the same day! Well, I did not make anything else that day, if your jaw dropped.                

On 12th of June, Ragee's foster mom invited us for Iftar and I offered to make samosas for her and her guest. I made 20 chicken samosas and then this plate of sweet samosas with the addition of almonds and date paste. 

As I was fasting, I couldn't taste but had all the time to click pictures before heading to her place because I wanted to share this recipe for the #EidEats2017 event.

I wrapped this plate with cling film and off we went to her place. I was nervous and kept requesting everyone there to try the sweet samosa but they were all more keen on the savoury. I was literally telling each kid, try one! :-P I almost thought well it is not everyone's cup of tea. But after maghrib prayers, the ladies started munching and I was super glad that everyone loved it and were so curious to know how it is made. They went WOW-- MMMMM --- and one of them asked me the recipe and I am sure she didn't make any mental notes as I could see her immersed in relishing each bite. It is such a simple dish, all readymade items, and when you get amazing praise - Take it, because wrapping those mini samosas is a task! 😜

That day I decided this is going to be my Eid sweet and InshaAllah, if possible I want to make a batch for neighbours.

Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds

Eid Eats is an annual event run by  Asiya of Chocolate and Chillies and Henna of My Ninja Naan. I learnt about them last year but couldn't take part and this year I was eagerly waiting! 😊 So this is my first time linking to this event.


I have provided a general recipe for the sweet mini samosas which is more of a guide than exact measurements. The rule is not to over stuff, let it be mini bite size and sealed in all three corners so that when you shallow fry, the cheese stays intact. 

I don't have any fancy equipment to take videos of the folding method but I have tried to explain with the images I managed to click today while making these mini treats again... because it is our anniversary. 😊 Please excuse the unmanicured hands! 


Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds

Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds

Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds

Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds
 The trick I learnt is to keep this way while filling the cone. You see the alignment on the sides?

Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds
 Stuff cream cheese, almond and date paste taking care to spread evenly and not overlapping.

Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds
 Now, press the cone so that the alignment of the sides meets correctly unlike the two pics above.

Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds
Then, start wrapping around the excess sheet aligning along the lines it meets and ensuring the three corners are covered neatly. Seal the end with the paste or if you are confident, then tuck it into the overlap.

Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds
The sun was playing hide and seek in the late hours of Asr and so I did add more exposure to brighten up. 

Sweet Mini Samosas Stuffed with Cream Cheese, Dates and Almonds

INGREDIENTS

For Samosa
Mini Samosa Sheets (Switz), as many as you want
Cream Cheese Squares, 1 square cut into 6 0r 9 equal cubes, 1 cube in each samosa
Almonds, 1 for each samosa (optional)
Date Paste, 1/4 teaspoon or a pinch for each samosa

Paste for sealing the samosas
2 teaspoon all-purpose flour and 3 to 4 teaspoon water

Sugar syrup (double for more)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cardamom
a squeeze of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon rose water
1/4 teaspoon orange blossom water
a dash of crushed saffron 

Oil to pan fry, just enough to cover the flat pan

almond powder for garnish (optional)

METHOD

  1. First, prepare the sugar syrup by boiling the water and sugar with a dash of lime juice. Bring to full boil on high and reduce the flame and let it simmer for 5 to 8 minutes and switch off. Add flavour water as desired and keep aside to cool. 
  2. Next, set the counter for the action:
    1. Remove the samosa sheets from the pack and keep it covered all time under a damp kitchen towel 
    2. Keep a few cream cheese squares cut into 9 smaller cubes. Avoid unwrapping too many cream cheese squares at a time - as it tends to get messy at room temperature. 
    3. Make the sealing paste in a small bowl
    4. Keep a clean freezer friendly box aside where you can dump the wrapped mini samosas when you have collected enough under the kitchen towel. Ensure to close the box tight to prevent drying. 
  3. Thirdly, it is all about folding, stuffing, wrapping and stocking then frying. 
    1. make a cone and stuff 1 cube of cream cheese,  1 almond, and a pinch of date paste
    2. close and wrap neatly ensuring all corners are closed 
    3. seal the end using the paste and keep all the mini samosas covered and refrigerate until needed (you can freeze too)
  4. Heat oil in a flat thick bottomed pan enough to pan fry 
  5. Add as many mini samosas as the pan can hold comfortably and fry turning sides until browned evenly 
  6. Drain and transfer to a kitchen tissue and while the samosa is warm, dip them in the cooled sugar syrup. 
  7. Plate it on to the serving platter 
  8. Drizzle more syrup and crushed almond as garnish 
  9. Serve warm or room temperature
Notes:
  • Any excess sugar syrup can be stored in the fridge and use later - you will make these again. trust me. 
  • You can avoid Date paste and almonds and just keep cream cheese as in the original recipe
  • Roll cream cheese in ground almond and use that instead
  • wrap the cream cheese in date paste and used that instead 
  • Use pistachios instead of almonds, or any nuts that you love
  • add dry fruits instead of nuts
  • There are endless possibilities, so go get creative and make your own version! 
Sweet Mini Samosas | Cream Cheese Dates and Almonds

While my mom's tradition of Eid Day was making Vermicelli payasam and Gulab Jamuns, making these mini sweet samosas with cream cheese will be mine!

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery