Kai Pola | Ripe Plantain Egg Cake

Saturday, June 10, 2017

This month's #mfbchallenge was to cook anything that reminds us our Ramadan tradition. Kai Pola or Ripe Plantain Cake was my first option for Lubna's event but I never got my hands on it that time. Malabari Ramadan cannot be complete without nenthrapazham and so I went hunting for it and got lucky this time with some really lousy bunch that had a dark black skin yet not ripe. 😲 Something better than nothing right? Alhamdulillah!



The first day of Ramadan was a terrible one for me. From a headache that never ceased to annoy to body ache that made it hard to stand longer, I just had no energy to do things as planned. Yet, I dragged and got some Unnakaya done, chased the sunlight and clicked some decent pics and thought my post for MFB is done. All my hopes were down when we sat to open the fast! F did not even pick one to eat and upon asking, he says he doesn't like it. Like WHAT!!!! Excuse me! 😫Four years of togetherness and this was a shocker! I never realised he never had at my home either. I was too weak to show a grim face or even argue...The funny part was both Unnakaya and Kaipola are made with almost same ingredients! and he loves Kai Pola! What is it with Men??? or F I guess.

You either are in love with it or you are not, you can't choose to like one dish and not the other. That is an insult to a true Plantain lover aka me. 

I had to eat the Unnakaya for the next two Iftars. Happy and sad.

Next, I made this Kai Pola that we both love to eat non-stop. 



You all know how much I love ripe Plantains and I can live every day for rest of my life eating nenthrapazham for breakfast.

As much as I love to have anything made with raw or ripe Plantains, I haven't made all of them on my own yet. Rather, I stick to making the ripe ones in simple stir-fried in ghee with a sprinkle of sugar (kai vatiyath) which can be upscaled into a rich breakfast with just adding an egg, make it even richer by stuffing this into crepes or sandwich. I also make the most popular Ripe Plantain Fritters aka pazham pori.. and then the most healthy version - steamed and served with ghee and sugar! yum. There are many other appetisers with this King of Kerala Fruits and almost all of them contain either egg or coconut with cardamom too... I know I am here to talk about Kai Pola!

This recipe is the basic with no fancy innovation. I don't make it often but when I see good ripe plantains, then I get greedy and pick a load - which means it would be a Plantain Vaaram (week). 😜 



Kai Pola or Ripe Plantain Egg Cake is very easy to prepare. You don't need an oven as this is made on stove-top. It is just like Spanish omelette but a sweet version. You pre-cook the plantains by sauteing in ghee, once cooled, add to lightly whisked egg, add the flavours like cardamom and rose water, pour and cook. But please don't skip the METHOD and NOTES, there are a few steps involved to make this can't stop with one Kai Pola.

Kai Pola is served as an appetiser, tea time treats, and even as desserts. So depending on when you are serving, add or reduce the number of eggs and quantity of sugar etc.for health reasons. It is by default part of any feast table and everyone loves it. As it is easy to prepare, we tend to make it even for the sudden walk-n guests! 



If you have never had Plantain, you should for it is the rich source of Potassium, Vitamin A and C, dietary fibre and has ZERO fat! With the addition of egg in Kai Pola, the protein is also taken care!

Kai Pola | Plantain Egg Cake

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon solid ghee
8 to 10 whole cashews, slit and chopped roughly
1 tablespoon golden raisins
3 ripe plantains, chopped into small pieces (1 and 1/2 cup chopped)
3 eggs
3 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/2 teaspoon rose water
1 teaspoon milk (optional)
a dash of salt

ghee to grease the pan before pouring the batter (if required)

METHOD

  1. Heat ghee in a non-stick flat-bottomed pot (that has a lid with steam release hole) on a low to medium flame 
  2. Fry the cashews until golden, remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside in a small bowl 
  3. Fry the raisins until puffed up, remove and add keep aside along with the cashews 
  4. Add more ghee to the pot if required and fry the chopped plantains until golden, remove and keep aside to cool 
  5. Meanwhile, lightly beat the eggs in another big bowl 
  6. Add the sugar, cardamom powder, salt, milk and rosewater 
  7. Add the cooled plantains too into the egg mixture and stir well 
  8. Keep a pan underneath the pot - to ensure even distribution of heat and prevent burning of the cake 
  9. Grease the sides of the pot and add more ghee if required and pour the plantain egg mixture 
  10. Cover and let it cook on a low to medium flame for 10 minutes 
  11. Open and place the fried cashews and raisins all over the cake 
  12. Cover and cook for another 10 to 12 minutes or until there is no visible uncooked egg mixture on the surface. You can do the toothpick test too. 
  13. Switch off and take away the pan from the burner and let it cool 
  14. Flip the cake onto a plate and flip again to the serving plate so you have the right side up - or do it in a way you are comfortable 
  15. Cut and serve warm or cold :-) 

NOTES:

  • Choose a pot that is not too deep so that you can flip the cake easily without giving it room to break 
  • The lid (see-through) with steam releasing hole is required so that the steam escapes instead of falling back on the cake. 
  • You can make this in a steamer or pressure cooker without the weight 
  • You can make the cake in any size pot but the time to cook it may vary so keep an eye on it. 
  • There is no rule on the ratio of egg to plantains but I like to keep it 1:1. Traditionally they add more eggs than plantains but just for two of us, I like to spare the calories 
  • My mom flips the cake and slides the topside down back to the pot and lets it rest there during the cooling stage. This gives a golden shade to the top of the cake and reduces any moisture too. 
  • The sides of my Kai Pola looks burnt but did not taste burnt. Usually, it is dark golden shade guess I kept it longer in the pan. 



Look at that juicy piece! I made this Kai Pola on 30th May solely for MFB Challenge so that I have the luxury of time to click some decent images because Ragee was fast asleep. But when I placed the Kai Pola on the table, my creative instinct too went to sleep. LOL.Btw, did I tell you Ragee is a sweet-toothed Cat! 😆


You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery