Orotti | Malabar Rice Pancake / Flatbread

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Today's post is a part of the grand Ramadan event Joy from Fasting to Feasting X hosted by Lubna Karim of Kitchen Flavours! This is my second time and this year I have shared a Malabar rice pancake recipe called Orotti which is a staple in my home not only during Ramadan but round the year.

Orotti | Malabar Rice Pancake / Flatbread

The spirit of the event is to share a dish that is our traditional food so I always feel challenged and excited to try some long forgotten dish. Orotti fits the bill. But I was late and requested a few more days and Lubna was so accommodating. The excitement grew but then her announcement of ending this event came as a shocker.  Yes! this would be the last Joy from fasting to feasting event ๐Ÿ˜” 

But on the brighter note, what a glorious effort by Lubna connecting Muslimah bloggers from across the globe for the month of Ramadan sharing their traditional and homely food recipes each day for 30 days. Hats off to you dear!  I am glad I could be part of this stellar event and hope you come up with something even grander. InshaAllah.

Orotti | Malabar Rice Pancake / Flatbread

Orotti is a rice based pancake or flatbread that is home to Malabar Cuisine which is served with meat, fish or egg curry in coconut sauce. The idea to share this for the event was a spur-of-the-moment decision. I am a BIG Fan of Orotti and my favourite combo is with Egg Moringa Leaves curry with coconut sauce. That is mom's magic and just like idlis, I can eat Orottis non-stop. It also goes great with Kerala beef curry and you don't need anything else.

Right after our marriage, I learnt that F does not like (not even for formality) Orottis but he is okay to have Pathiris (weird) which is a lot of work and needs a good dose of luck too. Until a few months back, I was only keen on making a dish that both of us would relish. I am sure that is the case for most of the stay-at-home homemakers who dare not have more dishes in the sink.๐Ÿ˜„

So here is the Instagram post when I made Orotti for the first time in Yanbu Kitchen. I did not share orotti picture hoping to keep it a surprise for this event.



Orotti | Malabar Rice Pancake / Flatbread

I wasn't too happy with the photo shoot results so the following week made Orotti again with a Fish Mullagittahu without fish of course ๐Ÿ˜› and that is another favourite combo. Both the time, I was so happy while eating alone because Orotti is my comfort food that takes me right back to my mom's lap. ๐Ÿ˜‹

Orotti | Malabar Rice Pancake / Flatbread

We are already on the 5th day of Ramadan! Make the most of this precious month while it lasts. Enough of my talks here... now please go to Lubna's space for the recipe, some of my lousy pictures and some chattering...

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery