Oatmeal Routine and Ideas

Monday, April 17, 2017

I have been wanting to pen this post for some time now and finally got to it today. This post on Oatmeal ideas is on request of a few Instagram followers. You know who you are! Thank you so much for reaching out. You may have noticed I had started adding Oatmeal to our diet since two months and have been sharing the same on Instagram. 

Being a follower of Rujuta Diwekar's food philosophy, I shouldn't be using a weighing scale to determine my fitness. But I do. Our weighing scale used to go only "forward" or "stagnant" for both of us. As I was able to do all the chores without any much difficulty, I assumed I am OK. But that feeling did not last long as my recently bought clothes refused to fit me and climbing stairs to the second floor where we live (we have no elevator service) started to pose as a nightmare. I have everything I need to workout yet I don't. No idea why. Just won't. So to kick start our weight-loss, I decided to change our eating habits. Alhamdulillah, after two years I started seeing my weight going down consistently and yet I haven't started a workout routine! 

It all started when I decided to embrace oatmeal as a serious food for breakfast, dinner and weekend meals too.  I also reduced the portion of parathas, chapatis and curries, included more fruits and nuts, cooked more meals during weekends (this is the best change) etc. I never thought it would last more than a week, but I am surprised we are still on it. :-) 

I made a lot of small changes that helped in manipulating our stomach to believe that the quantity served is indeed fulfilling. While I have no control on what F eats for lunch because he doesn't like to carry a "lunch box", I ensure to control his breakfast and dinner as per my plans. Also, I started to have lunch which I used to skip because I hated to cook for one. Eating several small meals and not starving definitely helped but what I really believe helped is reducing the "eat outs" and "cravings" to a large extent. 

In this post, I am focusing only on the sweet version as I have had very few savoury version so far. InshaAllah will post savoury ideas separately. 

How to make a bowl of Oatmeal (Sweet)

Oatmeal Routine and Ideas

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup rolled oats per person 
1 cup water for every 1/2 cup rolled oats (water/milk /coconut milk)*
Salt
Sweeteners: Honey / brown sugar/dates molasses / 
Toppings: Fruits, nuts, dried fruits, seeds, coconut shreds
Flavours: Cinnamon powder / Cardamom powder / rosewater / orange blossom water / mastic / vanilla essence / Bischoff/ peanut butter / Nutella / berry jam / date orange jam / apricot jam etc 

* I prefer to cook the oats in water and then add about 2 to 3 tablespoons of cold milk after switching off - only when I make oatmeal for breakfast. 

Notes: Use flavours that pair well with the fruit that you would be using. For example, apple goes well with Cinnamon powder, Banana with cardamom, rose water, dates with orange blossom water, etc. There is no rule, test some and see what best works for you and your family. I can never add coconut to F's bowl and I had to eat his share next day morning. :-) So unless you test, you will never know.

METHOD

  1. In a deep saucepan, add water, oats and salt
  2. Bring it to boil while stirring occasionally 
  3. Cook until the liquid has reduced and the oats have softened. You can cook further to your desired consistency 
  4. Stir in honey and cover the pan and switch off
  5. Cut fruits and roast nuts or use as is
  6. Transfer the oatmeal to a bowl(s) and add the desired flavouring. (let it cool and you can refridgerate the oatmeal for later too)
  7. Dress up with the desired toppings and serve warm/ room temp or cold
Here are some of the pictures I had shared on Stories with some details on what went in the Oatmeal:

Oatmeal Routine and Ideas

This was served for breakfast on a weekend morning. I have added apple, banana, raisins, almonds and couple of cashew nuts and dried goji berries. No diary. Cinnamon flavoured. 

Oatmeal Routine and Ideas

This was served as dinner. No diary oatmeal with apple, banana, kiwi, papaya in mine, goji berries, almonds, date orange jam

Oatmeal Routine and Ideas

Almost same as the first one with the addition of frozen thawed strawberries and no almonds. 

Oatmeal Routine and Ideas

Dinner. Flavoured with orange blossom water. Non-diary oatmeal. 

Oatmeal Routine and Ideas

Dinner. A similar one with walnuts and yellow plum. 

In my bowl, I don't go heavy on nuts and dried fruits. Depending on how hungry I am and the time of the day, I add or reduce the fruits and nuts quantity. 

This article of 6 mistakes you are making with your oatmeal by Prevention is a must read. I just came across this yesterday and glad I am on the right path in making my bowl of oatmeal. 

And if you're curious to know if there has been any significant weight loss, then let me break your heart and say - I lost more than I imagined I would - but now at a stagnant point. So have to do more than just Oatmeal and home chores. :-) but I am motivated and InshaAllah will get there.

The last time I shared anything about Oats was in this Dec 2015 post!

I am yet to get my hands on this year's Mangoes produce.

I miss pomegranate. Please come back! 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery