Arugula Pakora | Garden Rocket Fritters

Saturday, April 22, 2017

I made this Arugula Pakora on a Thursday evening for tea when I had actually planned to make my go to Onion Pakoras. Most of Thursdays, we make sure to have a light dinner if we indulged during tea time. And so this time, I had planned Arugula salad for dinner, but things took a different turn when I decided to make Arugula Pakoras instead. I have had store bought Palak pakoras back home but never tried it. I know Arugula is no sub for Palak but it sure is the best way to use up greens on a weekend eve. :-P

Arugula Pakora | Garden Rocket Fritters

I have shared my story of Arugula in the Persimmon Avocado Arugula Salad so she doesn't need a formal introduction here. However, this time I tried to find what is it called in the regional languages I know like Hindi, Tamil, Kannada and Malayalam so my sisters can source these delicious leaves and add it to their diet.Unfortunately,  I could only trace the fact that this leaf is called Tara mira or taramira in Hindi. If you know what Garden Rocket is in your language, please do leave a comment below.

Before I head to the recipe let me update you on the last post.  I did make it to the Air Show hosted by the GACA Western Airports on Thursday evening and we loved the experience. The public gathered at the Corniche ground and some of them atop their cars with huge cameras! We really loved the short time we spent leaning over the hood and staring up the sky where the seven jet planes that showed off remarkable skills leaving us jaw dropped. I just clicked a couple of pictures and then realised it is worth to watch in plain eye sight.

Yanbu Air Show

So Arugula Pakora is very similar to Onion Pakora recipe in this blog except this one does not have ginger, hing or baking soda. I realised that if you keep the batter to a dough consistency, then you get real crispy hard pakoras, if you add more water and baking soda, you get light and crispy outside and soft inside pakoras. So add water according to the way you want the pakoras.

Arugula Pakora | Garden Rocket Fritters

Arugula Pakora | Garden Rocket Fritters| Gerger leaves | Taramira | Pakora

INGREDIENTS

A small bunch of arugula leaves, washed, drained, stalk chopped, and finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped in crescent shapes
2 to 3 green chillies, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped finely
Handful coriander leaves, chopped
1 sprig of curry leaves
1/4 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1/4 cup rice flour
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
a pinch of turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tablespoon of hot oil
A few drops of water to bring the dough/batter together

Oil to deep fry


DIRECTIONS

  1. Add all the ingredients except hot oil and water and mix well and keep aside for about 10 minutes. The onion and leaves will release moisture that would help to bring the flour together
  2. Start adding water little at a time until you get the dough together. Less water will make crispier pakora. More water that makes a thick batter will lend soft inside and crispy outside pakoras.
  3. Heat a deep frying pan with enough oil to deep fry
  4. Add about a tablespoon of hot oil to the pakora batter. 
  5. Pinch small pieces of pakora dough and drop into hot oil 
  6. Stir and turn the sides using a slotted spoon. 
  7. Keep the flame to medium to high and adjust when it get too hot.
  8. Drain on kitchen towel and serve with garlic ketchup and tea
Arugula Pakora | Garden Rocket Fritters

I am very positive that you can replace Arugula with Palak or amaranth leaves in this same batter recipe. I want to try with methi next time or even Molokhia! :-) I love that greens but never got to buy again because F hated it. Maybe I should try deep frying. :-P 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery