Sweet Potato Patties with Red Kidney Beans OR Chickpeas and Bulgur

Thursday, March 23, 2017

I had promised to share the recipe for this Sweet Potato Patties that I had shared on my Instagram earlier this month. Trust me, I really wanted to make these again just to be able to click better pics :-) but unfortunately, haven't seen sweet potato since then and also lately haven't even gone for grocery shopping because I am on a self-imposed challenge of cooking with whatever is currently in my pantry. You can check #cooktoclearstock on Instagram. So, will update the pics whenever I get to make this again, InshaAllah as the current ones, I doubt Foodgwaker would approve. :-P


Sweet Potato Patties with Red Kidney Beans OR Chickpeas and Bulgur

UPDATE 2nd August 2017 
As hoped, I made these sweet potato patties again with chickpeas this time as I had run out of Rajma! I made the patties and stored in the freezer for the weekend brunch. Served as burgers with boiled egg slices... What made me blush was F, the meat eater said "this is so much better than Shami kebabs" :-D That is a message to improve my shami kebabs! lol 

Sweet Potato Patties with Chickpeas and Bulgur

This week started with a very sad note that still puts me in a bout of tears. My grandfather (Beluuppa) passed away on the 19th after living an amazing life for 91 years. Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon - (Surely we belong to Allah and to Him shall we return.) I never thought it would inflict so much grief as we knew he was getting there. Yet the thought of letting go of him, not being there beside him, thinking of my grandmom, my mom, not being able to hug them etc made it impossible to stop the tears roll down. May Allah forgive him, bless his akhirah and elevate his rank in Jannah. Ameen.

I am an emotional eater.

I ate through the grief and felt guilty that I wouldn't have had this freedom if I was at home mourning with others. But living alone all day makes it hard for an emotional eater. I ransacked my pantry for easy food and ate a whole bowl of chicken biryani that Ragee's foster mom shared a day earlier. F was supportive and came home to be with me for the rest of the day.

It is inevitable and a reminder.

Sweet Potato Patties with Chickpeas and Bulgur

Sweet Potatoes - the only way we grew up having it was in the form of steamed food. And I did the same here too whenever I got good ones. F loves it steamed and there is no "effort" in making it which makes me feel less of a "chef" (of my own kitchen) and can't really take credit for a steamed sweet potato! right? So the foodie of a food blogger rummaged through the Pinterest to get some newer ideas.

Sweet Potato Patties with Chickpeas and Bulgur


Sweet Potato Patties with Red Kidney Beans and Bulgur

The first time I made sweet potato patties were almost 10 months ago! It went down well but I was not too happy or convinced to blog about it. So this time, I took a lot of inspiration from various sources and made my own version. And another pressing reason was to use up my bulgur. :-P


This Sweet Potato pattie is so easy to put together as all the main ingredients are pre-cooked. If you are using canned beans, then it is even easier. Use a good non-stick pan and grease it well with oil. Do not get tempted to turn the patties too often while roasting on a lightly greased pan. Let it sit there for good 5 mins on a low to medium flame and gently turn sides and cook the other side too. A little burn is ok as it just adds to the flavour. The patties are soft, so placing it in a sandwich and giving the sandwich a light press with your palms just spreads it to all sides - which means - pattie in every bite!

Sweet Potato Patties with Chickpeas and Bulgur


Alhamdulillah! I am so glad I could update this post with better pics within 4 months... 

Sweet Potato Patties with Red Kidney Beans and Bulgur

Yields: 10 to 12 Patties 

INGREDIENTS

4 cups of sweet potato chunks (~500gms as a whole), steamed and drained or roasted 
3/4 cup dry red kidney beans (rajma), OR Chickpeas, cooked and drained or use canned but drained and mashed or processed
1/3 cup of fine bulgur ( Check below instructions to make bulgur)
1 medium onion, diced finely
1/2 inch ginger grated to paste
2 to 3 garlic cloves, grated to paste
1 1/2 teaspoon allspice powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon hot paprika or red chilli powder
Handful of coriander or parsley leaves
Salt to taste



Sweet Potato Patties with Red Kidney Beans and Bulgur

DIRECTION

Tips to prep the sweet potato, kidney beans and bulgur
  • Boil/pressure cook the sweet potato with skin until cooked and soft. Peel the skin off while hot, mash and keep aside. 
  • If you have already chopped chunks of sweet potato (like me) in stock, then steam them until done. You can even oven roast the sweet potato and scoop the flesh. 
  • Add a pinch of baking soda to the soaking red kidney beans /chickpeas and soak for at least 8 to 10 hours or overnight. Pressure cook the kidney beans/chickpeas in enough water until it is cooked well. Mash it with the back of a spoon or in a processor. 
  • Do not wash Bulgur. TIP: For every 1 cup of bulgur, add 2 cups of boiling water and salt. Give it a stir and cover with a tight lid. Let it be covered for 15 to 20 minutes. Open fluff and use as required. 
Sweet Potato Patties with Red Kidney Beans and Bulgur

METHOD:

  1. Add all the ingredients into bowl and mix with a fork or hand
  2. Cling wrap the bowl and let it rest it in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes
  3. Divide the dough into equal portions - You can use a measuring cup to make it uniform
  4. Lightly wet your hands with oil and shape the patties 
  5. Lay the patties on a greased tray. cling wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes or you can start shallow frying with olive oil just enough to coat the pan. OR Freeze the patties for later. 
  6. Heat a non-stick thick bottomed pan and spread some oil enough to grease the pan 
  7. Lay as many patties the pan can hold and cook on low to medium flame. Do not turn until the patties get "strong" - around 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and let it roast for another 5 minutes. As all the items in it are already cooked, we just need to roast them on heat for the spices to infuse. 
  8. Remove the patties and start assembling your burger or sandwiches with your own imagination or borrowed from Pinterest. :-D 
I had made labneh spread by just adding some Nandos hot sauce to it. Yeah, Nando's is my current crush! :-) Who else is with me?

Sweet Potato Patties with Chickpeas and Bulgur

For the latest pictures, I have used store bought burger buns, toasted the inside, spread labneh, placed the pattie, some onions, slices of boiled egg, tomato, coriander leaves, and Nando's hot sauce and the top bun was spread with cream cheese. 

Six burger buns with Sweet Potato patties was our Saturday brunch! :-) 

Happy Weekend! 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery