Persimmon Avocado Arugula Salad

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

How did I not try Persimmons all these years? I saw these only after I moved to Yanbu. I remember the supermarkets here tag them as "Kaki" and it never really got my attention. I had read in Rafeeda's post sometime last year where she had blatantly expressed how much she loves this fruit and how she could have the entire box. By the time I got my hands on some of these adorable Persimmons, the stocks are already dwindling as I see only very few. I forgot to check the price, all I wanted was to get the best of the lot. :-P

The very next day, I cut one Persimmon into wedges and ate them slowly, trying to get the taste. It tasted delicious like a mix of apple and papaya, both being my favourite fruit. Then I did some research and got so confused! :-D

Persimmon Avocado Arugula Salad

I learnt that the one I had picked is the Hachiya variety (oblong) that is considered to be more flavorful than Fuyu (round and flat-bottomed) variety. Also, it seems that Hachiya Persimmons must be eaten in a very specific level of ripeness that resembles a water-filled balloon that is soft and shrivelled and mushy. On the other hand, Fuyus are popular because they can be consumed when they are still a bit firm. The confusion is, I am pretty sure I have Hachiya, but it never got to that ripe stage of "water-filled balloon" and it tasted delicious as it was soft and crisp and never left any bad aftertaste either. I even had with the skin-on!

I still have three more Persimmons that are resting in my fruit basket along with apples and banana. Hoping to see it get ripe as the internet describes. Meanwhile, I have used these pretty orange fleshy fruit in my milkshake, oats porridge, overnight oats etc and both of us loved it.

Persimmon Avocado Arugula Salad
Free image from pixabay of Hachiya Persimmon

Apart from a sweet dish, Persimmons can also be used in savoury and even with chicken it seems! Now, I have to try that, InshaAllah. For now, I just want to share this salad that I prepared for dinner last week.

I just realised I have been only writing about Persimmons while this salad is a multi star dish! - Avocado and Arugula. :-P As I have already dealt with Avocados, let me share my relation with Arugula or gerger or commonly known as garden rocket too. I got introduced to her after I came to Yanbu (well, I can say that for most of the vegetables as I started to cook full-fledged after landing here) and she is in abundance in Yanbu supermarket all through the year. So when I get bored of Fenugreek leaves (Methi) and Dill leaves, it is Arugula.

I was not sure if F would have this salad considering the greens are raw and "in-your-face" but surprisingly he wiped the plate clean! I have used these leaves in making Kulcha, Shakshouka, Naan, and legume salads etc. and Arugula has now officially entered our grocery list.

Persimmon Avocado Arugula Salad 

Recipe inspired from Bon Appetit by Emma Wartzman

Yields: 2 servings

INGREDIENTS

1 ripe Persimmon, cut into wedges
1 ripe avocado, cut into wedges
A handful of arugula leaves washed and drained off excess water
1 tablespoon dried cranberries
1 tablespoon pomegranate arils

Dressing: 
1 tablespoon Olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Freshly crushed black pepper
Salt to taste

METHOD

  1. Toss together all the ingredients into a big bowl 
  2. Add the dressing and toss again 
  3. Serve immediately 
I have used equal quantity of all three items, but you can increase or reduce the quantity and adjust the dressing and seasoning to suit your taste. This salad is delicious, light and bright, layered with bold flavours of spicy Arugula, sweet persimmon, and the creamy avocado - Yum!

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery