Ari Dosha again...| Rice Crepes

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Ari Dosha again because I have already shared Ari dosha recipe which was an attempt to make the popular Malabar rice crepes that I grew up having for breakfast or even dinner. While that recipe was not the originally intended dish, it did satiate my cravings for Rice Crepes. You can read all about my love, experience and how I manoeuvred into making rice crepes with Kalthappam batter in this post.

Today I am sharing a very basic version of rice crepes that we usually have with beef curry or lentil based curries. Every time I make the diluted Kalthappam version dosha, it reminds me my shortcomings in mastering a basic dosha recipe that would have made my meal planning so much easier. So I have been working on it in small batches every other week and in my third attempt, I figured a way to get the best "so far".

Ari Dosha again...| Rice Crepes

Why "so far"? That is because this is my best version on a non-stick pan. In an ideal world of a Malabar kitchen, this dosha is cooked on a cast iron pan and the batter also would render zillion beautiful tiny holes all over the dosha. I have a cast iron pan and making dosha on it was an epic disaster. Maybe the pan needs more seasoning! When I get there, I will do another  Ari Dosha yet again post! :-D

In the earlier version, I had mentioned that the ratio of raw rice to cooked rice is the make or break factor. Please add consistency of the batter to that list. Making the batter is a no-brainer but bringing it to the right consistency alone will give you the best results.

Test the batter by making a small dosha and then adjust the consistency accordingly. If you are able to spread the batter without it getting muddled up and if you are able to flip it neatly, then consider the batter is failproof!

Ari Dosha again...| Rice Crepes

Yields: 15 to 20 doshas

INGREDIENTS

2 cups basmati rice (I used India Gate Classic)
1/2 cup beaten rice aka rice flakes (white or brown)
Approx 2 cups water (more or less)
Salt to taste
oil to cook (1/2 teaspoon for each)

METHOD

  1. Wash and soak the rice along with the rice flakes for 4 to 6 hours or overnight
  2. Blend until smooth by adding water little by little and transfer to a large bowl
  3. Stir in enough salt and use a ladle to test the consistency. (dip the ladle in the batter and take out and turn. The back side of the ladle should have only a thin layer of the batter.)
  4. Heat a non-stick pan on a low to medium flame
  5. Pour a ladle of batter and use the bottom of ladle to spread batter outward in a circular motion
  6. Sprinkle some oil all over the sides and centre
  7. Cover with a lid for a few seconds to let it cook on medium to high flame
  8. Open the lid and slowly release the sides with a spatula and flip the crepe to cook the other side. Flip a few more times if required. 
  9. Remove from pan when done 
  10. Before pouring the batter for next dosha, reduce the flame to lowest, sprinkle some water and wipe it off and then pour the batter. Do this every single time for the rest of the batter. 
  11. Serve with any curry of your choice or like us enjoy with my Cherupyre curry or egg curry
Ari Dosha again...| Rice Crepes

Unlike the fermented dosa (idli batter) this ari dosha can be prepared ahead and served with hot curries. This is a basic version that I love and can never have enough. If I have some batter leftover, then I use it next day to make another delicious breakfast-for-one. Any guesses?

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery