No Bake Dates Energy Bars | Almond Chocolate | Cashew Raisins | Peanut Chocolate

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

As promised, I am on time for this month's Muslim Food Bloggers Challenge. The challenge is to cook with dates where dates in any form should be the core ingredient of the dish. *Happy Face*

As soon as I read the challenge, I figured I can share the recipe of these energy bars I made some time ago and even shared on Instagram. To me, energy bars were always "nature valley" and the likes that I used to grab from the food court before heading to work desk on a busy day. It has always been my favourite go to snack or a quick breakfast whenever I am running out of time. But now, I make these to sustain us during weekends! :-P

No Bake Dates Energy Bars

I have made these energy bars using date paste block. To be honest, the first time I picked date paste, was to make Batheeth and then the Dates Chocolate Truffles. I am not sure of its availability in the rest of the world as almost all the recipes of making energy bars with dates involved Medjool dates that are processed in a food processor along with all kinds of nuts and dry fruits. I did not want to use up all of my whole dates, and that is when I saw Rafeeda's post of energy bars using Date Paste. The timing was perfect as I was looking for ways to use up the remaining block of date paste that has been opened.

No Bake Dates Energy Bars

I made her version but with loads of nuts the very week she posted and F loved it so much that he ate it as a dessert than a snack. As this is a healthy option for dessert too, I went ahead and picked another 1kg block of date paste and planned on making in different ways.


So here are few ideas that will enable you to get even more creative as options are endless.

No Bake Dates Energy Bars | Almond Chocolate | Cashew Raisins | Peanut Chocolate

INGREDIENTS

Almond Chocolate
1/2 inch of date paste from the 1 kg date paste block
1/4 cup almonds, roasted and crushed lightly
1/4 cup choco chips
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoon granola (crushed lightly)
any oil to grease your hand while mixing

Cashew Raisins
1/2 inch of date paste from the 1 kg date paste block
1/4 cup cashews, roasted and crushed
1 tablespoon golden raisins
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
2 tablespoon granola (crushed lightly)
any oil to grease your hand while mixing

Peanut Chocolate 
1/2 inch of date paste from the 1 kg date paste block
1/4 cup peanuts, roasted and crushed lightly
1 tablespoon choco chips
1 tablespoon dried cranberries (optional)
2 tablespoon granola (crushed lightly)
any oil to grease your hand while mixing

No Bake Dates Energy Bars

METHOD

  1. Mix everything well with greased hands ensuring even distribution of nuts to date paste
  2. Spread the dough on a wax or baking paper and top it with another sheet 
  3. Roll it even and desired thickness with a rolling pin and then shape it into a square by adjusting the edges
  4. Chill for couple of hours 
  5. Unwrap the chilled dough and use a sharp knife to cut (top to bottom press) (not sawing motion) to make bars 
  6. Wrap each bar with wax paper and serve cold or room temperature 
  7. Refrigerate the remaining in an airtight box - good for several weeks. 
Here is another version - sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. I should have stopped with that but added my cranberry muesli that did not go down too well on an energy bar with dates.

No Bake Dates Energy Bars

I had made all four ways of dates energy bars on the same day. There were at least 3 to 4 bars of each kind and lasted in the fridge for more than a week. We shared one bar every morning with our cup of milk tea and now I think it is time I made another batch.. :-)

While here, check what my other fellow Muslim Food Bloggers have cooked up!


You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery