Sweet Banana Drops

Thursday, November 03, 2016

This week went super quick! Last weekend was like yesterday and next one is here already. If you think otherwise, then blame it on my kitten. :-D She has slowly and completely encroached my work area so much that I had to get my laptop to the bedroom to draft this post... while she is basking in the sun on my table! :-O

Sweet Banana Drops
Updated image: 12/04/2017

Thursday evenings usually I make some snacks to have along with tea if  F comes home early. These Sweet Banana Drops gets done quite often and I have made a few variations too. Last month, when we had to cook a dish from Comoros Islands for MENA Cooking Club, I had come across something called Banana Puffs Puffs that is so much like these "nulli ithathu" (pinched and dropped in oil). Comoros version uses yeast and coconut milk in their batter while we do not. However, I loved the idea of coconut milk and tried it with my recipe last week. We loved the subtle coconut milk flavour that does not overpower the banana in any way.

Originally this is my paternal grandmom's speciality that she makes whenever there are good bananas, which they call mysore pazham. Here I have used the usual ones that you get in the gulf which I believe is like robust? Mallus, help me get it right! :-P This is the easiest and quickest snack that does not require any soaking, grinding, or resting etc. Mix, drop, fry and pop one with a cup of tea!

Sweet Banana Drops

The addition of semolina gives a crunchy outer layer that you cannot stop with just one, two or three.... I had to divide the portion to save some for myself!

Yields: for 2 foodies

Sweet Banana Drops

INGREDIENTS

1 big banana (or 2 small bananas), mashed well
2 to 3 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon rice flour
1 or 2 tablespoons semolina
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
a pinch of Baking soda
Salt to taste
1/4 cup coconut milk or water
oil to deep fry

*a pinch of baking powder can be added too. This will give a more puffed up and light banana drops.

METHOD

  1. Heat oil for deep frying
  2. Mash the banana(s) with sugar (or use blender for the whole process)
  3. Add rest of the dry ingredients 
  4. Start adding coconut milk or water little by little and flap with your four fingers to break down and mix thoroughly.
  5. Flap and mix until you get a batter that is not too thick nor runny. You should be able to scoop the batter with a spoon and use another spoon to release into the oil
  6. Maintain the flame on medium and drop as much as batter balls your pot can hold (avoid overloading as that will bring down the temp of the oil)
  7. Fry turning all sides until brown 
  8. Remove with slotted spoons and place them kitchen papers to drain off any excess oil
  9. Serve hot with cup of tea
Sweet Banana Drops

I have made these so many times but this is the first time I could capture it before it got dark.

Back home, they just take a little batter in hand and drop little portion into the hot oil - the reason why it got the name "nulli itathu" but I don't prefer to use my hand so the spoon hack!

That's all from me! Have a great weekend Gulfies!

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery