Red Kidney Bean and Nectarine Salad

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

With less than a month for our travel to hometown, I am focusing on finishing off the stocks and keeping a check on our diet. The "diet" is majorly to balance and make space for the food feast we will be subjected to at our moms. :-) 

Those who know me or follow me would have learnt that Salads and soups are something I hardly give a second thought. I whip up a bowl of salad only during weekends as snacks instead of meals because I am lazy. However, recently I started including salad to our dinner to reduce the quantity of the main dish. My attempt at serving a wholesome meal and it is working well for both of us. Alhamdulillah. 

This Red Kidney Bean and Nectarine Salad was the second in the series of salads I prepared last week. InshaAllah, I hope to share the rest of them too. The first one was with same beans minus nectarines. You can replace the nectarines with peaches or skip it. This is just what I made with whatever I had in the stock. Perfect for two (or three) :-) 

Red Kidney Bean and Nectarine Salad

Red Kidney Bean and Nectarine Salad

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup boiled and cooled red kidney beans (rajma) [ I am sure you can use canned beans but I boiled dry ones]
1/2 of  a medium Green pepper (capsicum)
1/2 of a medium Nectarine 
1/2 of medium Red onion
1/2 of a tomato [remove the flesh]
Salt and pepper for taste
1 teaspoon Red grape vinegar
Handful of chopped Lettuce
Drizzle Olive oil

METHOD

  1. Keep the beans ready - boiled and cold
  2. Chop the capsicum, nectarine, onion, tomato, and lettuce similar to the size of the bean
  3. Fold them to the bowl of beans [at this point, you can keep it in the fridge until needed]
  4. Before serving, mix in the salt, pepper, and vinegar
  5. Drizzle and mix in some olive oil 
  6. Serve cold
Red Kidney beans are rich in Dietary fibre and protein while nectarines are great for vitamin C. While there are salads with mayo and cheese that I relish, I prefer to make these light salads, to be fair to our goals! :-P

An example of not everything happens how we want or plan is my current state. I had slowly weaned off the cleaning spree and geared to cooking new dishes but just when I wanted to blog about them - we have Ragee who needs me 100% when she is awake. So drafting as much as I can while she is in deep sleep...

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery