Mom's Poori Masala | Potato Masala for Deep Fried Indian Flatbread

Friday, November 11, 2016

We deserve a deep fried breakfast like Poori Masala for all that happened in the last few days. The USA getting trumped was a shocker but I am thrilled with Indian Government's move to eradicate black money by banning old 500 and 1000 currency. Unlike Swatch Barath or Clean India movement, I am sure people will throng the bank branches to get their currencies exchanged as "money matters" unlike garbage, isn't it? Anyways, I hope this drastic change brings India to greater power and it leads as a developed country.

Potato Masala for Deep Fried Indian Flatbread



In my world too, some very interesting things happened this week - Alhamdulillah!
  • The terrace door key is now always on it and we take Ragee and tea out there early mornings
  • Made Nutella cheesecake parfait to use up Nutella - which seems a good news that we are serious (a little) on weight goals
  • I was so thrilled when two of my readers made the Cherupyre curry and shared how much their family loved it. It really made my day! 
  • I also made a small batch of Bezar spice mix to make Dejaj Salona- which btw, reminds me to mention that - a business website is using my salona image for their recipe and they don't have the courtesy to even respond to my concern. :-(  
  • I swallowed pride and entered a plus size clothing store and shopped! Actually, makes me feel better as I fall into their Slim category! LOL. 
  • We went shopping exclusively for Ragee - food and litter! She is loving both! 
  • And the best thing that happened this week is I found mastic tears! :-D Alhamdulillah!

Today I am sharing the masala recipe that is served with Poori, assuming you all know how to make Poori. This was one of the earliest recipes that I got from my mom right after I came to Yanbu. Making Poori is a bonding activity - while I work the dough, F works on frying them. I like to keep the pooris puffed even while serving, so they go into this large colander right after frying. The Potato Masala is made in a jiffy because it gets cooked in a Pressure cooker. No boiling and peeling etc - no hard work at all!

Mom's Poori Masala | Potato Masala for Deep Fried Indian Flatbread

Mom's Poori Masala | Potato Masala for Deep Fried Indian Flatbread

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
2 medium onions, chopped finely
2 to 3 green chillies, chopped very finely
1/2 inch ginger, chopped very finely
1 medium tomato, chopped roughly
4 to 5 small sized potatoes, cut into cubes
1 carrot, chopped into half inch pieces or roundels of 1/4 inch thick
1/3 cup frozen green peas
Salt to taste
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 cup water (add more to adjust desired consistency)

METHOD

  1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker on medium to low flame
  2. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter and then add the curry leaves 
  3. Add the chopped onions, green chillies and saute until onions turn translucent 
  4. Next, add the ginger and saute until the raw smell fades away
  5. Tip in the chopped tomato and saute until they breakdown 
  6. Fold in the chopped potatoes, carrots, green peas, salt, and turmeric powder
  7. Add water and mix again
  8. Close and pressure cook on medium flame for 3 whistles and switch off
  9. Let the pressure cool on its own 
  10. Serve warm with fresh pooris or any Indian flatbreads
Note: You can cook in a pot instead of a pressure cooker but it would take longer time and you just need to check until the potatoes are done.

Along with potatoes, mom adds peas and carrots which I have made every time except this one time as I ran out of carrots. If using frozen peas, add at the end and cook for few minutes. With the travel plans, I am trying not to buy excess veggies so please feel free to add them when you make and adjust the water accordingly.

Mom's Poori Masala | Potato Masala for Deep Fried Indian Flatbread

Poori Masala is our choice of breakfast at least once a month and I always make it this way.

Potato Masala for Deep Fried Indian Flatbread

Do let me know in the comments if you want me to include the recipe and method of making pooris.

Have a great Weekend! :-D

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery