Red Currant Laban

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Ragee my Kitten

I want to introduce our new member - Ragee, the kitten we picked from the rags. We rescued her from the street last Thursday and within a few days, everything we do revolves around her. I love cats and we always had one back home but having a pet cat while living in a flat is totally new to me and is really testing my patience. Our day starts and ends with her obsessing to stick to us literally and while we  try to make her strong. I still have no idea what to do after November as we are travelling to home. InshaAllah. I hope to find some foster home... Alhamdulillah, she is a quick learner and her stupidity makes us laugh so much! :-) MashaAllah, more about her later...

So this morning, we had our first thunderstorm, lightening and shower here in Yanbu and though I love rain I am not a fan of the gloominess it brings along. Here is saying a goodbye to Summer with this Red Currant Laban drink. :-P 

Red Currant Laban


Only at the fag end of this summer, I had begun including Laban on the grocery list. I pick the big carton of Almarai full fat and I love to drink it with a dash of salt, add to marinades, make pancakes, and some experiments are still going on. Now, Laban is nothing but buttermilk and the only difference I think is in the fat content. 

The fresh Red Currant is my first-time pick which I got from Jeddah Lulu on my way back from the long road trip during Eid hols. I had shared the image on Instagram and thought the recipe should feature on my blog too. These tiny rubies are little tarty in flavour but still sweet enough to be eaten raw with some sweetener. Red currants are also known for their high vitamin C content. So when you see them, try them. 

Red Currant Laban


The inspiration to make this drink came from my recent love for Almarai's Mango flavoured Laban. Our grocery store routine is such that after we pick everything and before we head to the billing, we pick a tiny bottle of juice that we drink before heading home. Usually, it is some fruit juice, but once I saw these tiny bottles of mango flavoured laban while looking for Laban. I loved it instantly. 


How to make Red Currant Laban 


INGREDIENTS:

3/4 to 1 cup of red currants (washed and removed from stalk)
1 cup of cold buttermilk (undiluted and full fat)
1/2 cup of cold water 
1 tablespoon quick oats
1 tablespoon sugar or honey

METHOD

  1. Add all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth
  2. Serve immediately 
I made this one of the weekends when we were too lazy to eat! :-P 

Red currant can be replaced with any berries, plums, mango, etc 

Red Currant Laban

I managed to draft this post having Ragee occupy some portion of my keyboard.... 

Have a great weekend Gulfies! 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery