Mixed Fruit and Sweetcorn Salad with Dukkah

Monday, October 03, 2016

Salads and soups are never part of my normal everyday meal. If you noticed, this blog too has just two salad recipes so far which truly mean I have not ventured into making exotic salads nor the simplest soups. As far as I remember, as a kid I used to believe that cucumber, carrots, and tomatoes served in different shapes constitutes "salad"! I was so wrong, right? :-P However, these days I never miss an opportunity to try most of the salads at a breakfast buffet!

Including salads in every meal helps in reducing the intake of the main course - which eventually contributes to better health and weight loss.. unless you are eating only coleslaw :-D! We all know what to do and what not to do, yet fail miserably in our attempt of at least maintaining the weight! So with that note, I am going to share my latest love - hoping it is not an infatuation or a fling :-P love for fruit salads with a zing factor!


Mixed Fruit and Sweetcorn Salad with Dukkah

This kind of salads are my last resort to serve a quick snack instead of lunch or dinner on weekends because spending time in the kitchen is the last thing I want to do during weekend. Well, the weekends are when we are weak to wake the wok! - It is better to have home made salads and snacks than eat out junk - am I right?

Remember Dukkah? I am finding ways to use it up. Dukkah, like I have mentioned before is a spice blend made either with wheat berries or with hazelnut as the base along with a few dried herbs. You get the is any store or you can make your own stock. When I am done with this store-bought stock, I am going to try Sawsan's version.

Without Dukkah, this is just a simple fruit salad with salt and pepper. I love to add red onions for the savoury factor.

Mixed Fruit and Sweetcorn Salad

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup sweet corns, frozen
1 pomegranate
1 peach
1 baby cucumber
1 medium onion
1 apple
1 orange
Freshly ground pepper
Dukkah as per taste (well, this can be skipped to have a normal salad)
Salt to taste

METHOD

  1. Cook the frozen sweetcorn as per the pack instruction and drain and keep aside 
  2. Remove the arils of pomegranate 
  3. Finely dice peach, cucumber, onion, and apple
  4. Peel orange and chop each segment into three pieces 
  5. Add everything in a big bowl, cling wrap and refrigerate until needed
  6. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and dukkah spice as per your taste just before serving
  7. Give it a thorough mix and serve immediately 
Mixed Fruit and Sweetcorn Salad with Dukkah

I must say that F and I had this salad straight from the bowl sharing one spoon and it was over in no time. This salad was not part of the meal but the meal itself! :-D

PS: Don't be like me. Include some form of protein and carbs along with the salads and make it a complete meal. I can totally justify this kinda eating once in a week as a form of detoxing! LOL!

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery