Bahraini Khabees | Wheat Flour Sweet Breakfast

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Today, MENA Cooking Club is sharing Bahrain cuisine and I am typing this post now. For this month, we were given three choices: Al Wariyah – rice with a crust, Al Khabees – a sweet breakfast and Al Thareed – a stew which has regaag bread soaked.

Al Wariyah seems to be the most popular Bahraini Muhammar. I was not able to find anything related to the word wariyah but Muhammar fitted the description. Thareed also was very tempting and Khabees is my in-law's favourite breakfast just like Balaleet.  I could have cooked all three with the given Secret Ingredient - Pumpkin because it is a versatile veggie that can go well into savoury and sweet dish.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get to make any of the dishes as planned. Something or the other came up and I thought I will cook Khabees for Eid breakfast which is a tradition at my in-laws. I had started drafting the post when F announced the road trip plan for the Eid holidays!

Even though I was super happy at the idea of the road trip, I just couldn't believe that I won't be able to take part in MENA after all the time I spent researching about Bahrain dishes. With a heavy heart, I decided to give it a miss this month but I could not get it off my head! :-)

We reached Yanbu last night after 6 long days. I had emptied all the stock of veggies, meats, and fruits before we hit the road. So there was nothing other than lentils and pulses. :-) This morning, F got up late contemplating whether to go to work or not. I was hoping he will get Malawah and Shakshuka for breakfast because I don't have anything to make. Instead, to my surprise, he asked to prepare Khabees!


Bahraini Khabees | Wheat Flour Sweet Breakfast

Though I have had umma's Khabees a few times, I never got to watch her make it. As she has lived most of her life in Bahrain, she knows quite a few traditional Bahraini dishes. I called her and got the recipe and I went ahead to make it immediately. 

On our way back to Yanbu last night, we had stopped at Lulu in Jeddah and picked a lot of  items that I don't easily get here; one of the items was a piece of pumpkin and the other which I cherish the most is - Fresh Grated Coconut! I picked three boxes and they are sitting in my freezer now. I was planning to grate the pumpkin and incorporate it but honestly didn't want to take the risk of trying something new when I know F was hoping to taste his home food. So yeah, I skipped the pumpkin and stuck to umma's recipe. 

Umma does not roast the flour, I chose to do it to reduce the time of stirring so I have the dish ready sooner. Thankfully it did not alter the taste too much. I made just one plate of Khabees fearing the outcome but F loved it and just wanted more sugar. 

Bahraini Khabees | Wheat Flour Sweet Breakfast

Bahraini Khabees

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup wheat flour
1 and 1/4 cup boiling water (you may need more or less)
Salt to taste
3 to 4 tablespoons sugar 
1/2 teaspoons cardamom powder 
1 teaspoon rose water 
2 tablespoons grated coconut 
1 to 2 tablespoons melted ghee
Crushed medley of nuts to garnish

METHOD: 

  1. Dry roast the flour in a flat plan on a very low heat until you get a lovely nutty aroma. Keep stirring the flour to roast evenly. 
  2. Meanwhile, bring water to boil and add salt, sugar, rose water, and cardamom powder 
  3. Slowly stir in the roasted flour little by little while making sure to continuously stir the mixture with a wooden spatula and ensure no lumps remain. 
  4. Add more hot water if required, and bring the mixture to a smooth consistency
  5. Mix in the grated coconut and some nuts
  6. Taste test and adjust the salt and sweetness 
  7. Transfer to a flat plate and make swirl line with a spoon
  8. Pour the melted ghee over this and garnish with chopped nuts and some grated coconuts 
  9. Serve warm 
That floral plate was part of the Lulu haul! :-P

I had been to Bahrain during Eid-ul-Fitr holidays and have recorded some of the events in my Travel posts. Bahrain is a tiny country and you can travel the length and breadth of the Kingdom in just a couple of days.

As I have not used the secret ingredient for this month's challenge, I am not linking my post to Add Linkz. But please do check out what my fellow club members have cooked up! 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery