Poached Egg Curry

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Phew… to say that I encumbered willingly to the cleaning spree knowing that my blog is nose diving into the almost non-existent state is an understatement. I have been keeping myself “actively” busy with household chores that are convincingly equivalent to much-needed workouts. :-) And when the blog began to threaten me of abandoning, I decided to come over and write up a quick post.

This particular post of Poached Egg Curry has been in drafts since – forever and all I actually had to do was insert images and give a brief introduction. Would you believe I have been sitting on this post for the past three days with zero advancements? I ain’t lying! This time, it is nothing to do with any kind of “block”, I think it is more to do with the fact that my thoughts and ideas or perspectives and goals everything is blurred out – in the sense, they are changing and is not definite yet. Like I am re-inventing myself to bring significant changes so that I don't end up being unhappy with self.

Although I am thinking of doing new things in life, today I am sharing a very old recipe handed down from mom! This Poached Egg Curry is what I always ask my mom to make when I am home. She makes this to pair with rice flour flatbreads (orottis and idiyappams) or sometimes even with chapatis. Some days she also adds Drumstick leaves to this curry and that is the perfect meatless combination with Orotti. I mentioned meatless because meat and fish is an everyday thing and egg is considered as veg! :p LOL! Just to remind you all, I had mentioned about this curry in my early day's post of Kerala Egg Roast.


Poached Egg Curry

I have made this Poached Egg Curry quite a few times and only in the third attempt I kinda got the hang of the right measurement which brought back the exact same taste that mom used to serve. I wonder if it is a universal thing that moms don’t share exact measurements and we have to figure it out. It is my dream to be able to cook without having to refer to my notes! :-) InshaAllah!

Updated: April 2017: This version is with spinach leaves added. You can add moringa too. I have included the steps to add the greens in the recipe too. 
Poached Egg Curry with Spinach

Poached Egg Curry

INGREDIENTS

For the curry paste:
1/3 cup desiccated coconut or 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
1 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
a few curry leaves
1/3 cup water

2 cups of chopped spinach/palak or moringa leaves (optional)

Others:
1 tablespoon coconut oil or any cooking oil
1 large onion, chopped finely crescent shape
1 large tomato, chopped roughly
2 to 3 green chillies, chopped very finely or slit
A few more curry leaves
Salt to taste
Water as required ~ 1 cup
3 eggs

Poached Egg Curry

METHOD

  1. Grind all the ingredients listed under for the curry paste to a fine smooth paste and keep it aside
  2. Heat oil in a deep saucepan or curry pot 
  3. Add the chopped onions with a dash of salt and saute until translucent
  4. Add the chopped tomato, green chillies, and curry leaves 
  5. Cover and cook until the tomatoes are all mashed up 
  6. If using spinach or moringa, you will add it now. Tip in the chopped spinach and let it cook until wilted 
  7. Stir in the prepared paste along with some water and let it boil 
  8. Add more water if it is too thick or to your desired consistency
  9. Reduce the flame to low and taste test to adjust the spices 
  10. Crack open each egg and drop into the boiling curry* 
  11. Cover again and cook until the eggs are cooked 
  12. Serve hot with chapatis, idiyappams, pathiris, orottis etc. (any flatbreads)
* As a good practice, crack open one egg at a time into a small bowl and then tip it into the simmering curry. This will ensure you are adding good eggs and also prevents any tiny shells from falling into the curry pot. 

Poached Egg Curry

Off late, I haven't been reading fellow bloggers posts for the same reason mentioned above, but trust me, I do keep a tag of things on Facebook. Will come around and catch up on each one of my friends' post. You all are doing tremendous work and I personally draw inspiration from each one of you and that is what makes me want to continue blogging. Thank you! 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery