Gözleme | Turkish Stuffed Flat-bread {Minced Meat}

Monday, July 11, 2016

I think a Life Lately post is due but I can give a very short and crisp detail of it! Ramadan - over, my short vacation to Bahrain - over, days of deep fried - over, dilemma what to cook - stays, and now back to blogging - hopefully. InshaAllah! :-)

Would you believe me if I say I did not make any Parathas for the entire month of Ramadan! :-O Yes, it is true. However, I made Gozleme which is a Turkish flat-bread as soon as I saw it on my recent favourite YouTube channel Fatemahisokay! I found her when I made Algerian Bradj and we went on to become Instagram buddies. Sometimes we know what we are looking for and other times we come across something interesting and we "pin it". This was one such pin.

I made this version of Gozleme for dinner one of the days during Ramadan. As it is a flatbread and kinda interesting, I decided to blog about it. You know I do a lot of reading before I post my recipe and what I found is that there is no ONE way of making any element of this flatbread! Now that is both a sad (not bad) and good news.

The sad part is from the dough to the filling, from the way it  is folded to the way it is served, there are a zillion versions. The good news is, there is only one way of rolling the dough - As Thin As Possible! ATAP! Once you get to that, then fillings can be parsley or coriander leaves, meat, cheese or all three! or anything you fancy!

The version I made here is exactly as in this video. But now having seen more options, I want to try different ways that do not involve rolling after stuffing. Maybe I will try one with just cheese! :-)
This does not need any side dish to go with but I served with some thick yogurt.

Unlike the muttabaq or any other porotta where the dough is dunked in oil and slapped to thinnest, this is completely oil free while rolling. You can use a little flour to assist with the rolling, but the way the dough is kneaded and prepared, rolling to ATAP is not a mountainous task at all. In fact, it is effortless rolling, the dough stretches so neatly without tearing or giving up. I thoroughly enjoyed working on the sheet.

Most of the Gozleme videos has a lady who sits comfortably beside the hot tawa and rolls the Gozleme dough to a large thin sheet that is then filled, folded, sealed and laid on the hot tawa with some butter on it. It was delightful to watch this video of  a lady making Gozleme and that is something I adapted when I tried making it the second time with just cheese.

PS: Please do watch that video I linked - you will be amazed!



Today, I am sharing the minced beef version and you can make the way I have shown here or just choose to fold it into a crescent shape and press it before transferring to the hot tawa. This version just gives a firmer Gozleme that can be rolled and had on the go.

Gözleme | Turkish Stuffed Flatbread {Minced Meat}

INGREDIENTS:

For the dough
1.5 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup warm water
Salt to taste
extra flour for dusting
2 tablespoons ghee/butter

For the Filling
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion chopped
350 grams ground beef
1/2 tablespoon garlic minced 
1 teaspoon hot paprika powder
Salt and pepper to taste
fistful chopped parsley or coriander leaves 

METHOD: 

Make the dough
  1. In a wide bowl mix the flour and salt 
  2. Add water in small additions and knead till soft and elastic dough is formed
  3. Knead for at least 10 to 15 minutes
  4. Divide the dough into equal balls (aim at making it fit the size of your biggest tawa)
  5. Dust with flour and cover with a cloth or keep them back in the bowl and cover with lid until needed
Make the filling
  1. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan 
  2. Saute onions until translucent - you can add a dash of salt to the onions
  3. Add the ground beef and garlic, saute this until the beef is browned (you can add a little water in case it needs to be cooked further)
  4. Add the spice powders and salt and cook until beef is done - no moisture should be present. If required, cook away the excess liquid.
  5. Switch off and mix in the chopped coriander leaves or parsley leaves
  6. Keep this aside to cool 



Prepare the Gozleme
  1. Dust the work area with flour 
  2. Take one dough ball and start rolling it
  3. Roll till transparent (as thin as you can make it)
  4. Fold 1/3 both sides 
  5. Place some filling in the middle and spread it evenly only in the middle
  6. Close both ends and seal by pressing down gently
  7. Roll carefully to form a rectangle 
  8. Heat a tawa and grease lightly with butter/ghee
  9. Transfer the rolled gozleme to the hot tawa
  10. Roast on tawa by flipping frequently until cooked both sides 
  11. Spread some butter/ghee both sides 
  12. Serve hot with yoghurt
I want to mention again that the filling can be anything you like, so feel free to make it just cheese and greens if you do not want to have meat. Gauge the size of your tawa and size the dough balls accordingly. You can serve as is, or like I did, cut them into finger strips, or roll into tiny bite size with toothpick and make it pick me and eat versions too. 


Hope you enjoyed my new find. 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery