Lemon Garlic Chicken Shreds For Filling

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Day 17 which means in another two weeks it will be EID and then I will terribly miss this aura that comes with Ramadan. Honestly, I thought this year would be sad without family and the chattering of ladies in the kitchen cooking away for ifthar, and all the dishes that my mom and umma makes. But on the contrary, this year so far as been the most productive Ramadan for me, Alhamdulillah! I believe it is because I do not have any thing or any body to interfere in my prioritisation other than myself. I do have a very long way to go but key to any such journey is consistency. Alhamdulillah, so far I am able to get through without much distraction.


Coming to today's recipe, I decided to share this because I myself was bored of doing the same kind of fillings for my ifthar snacks and so a new taste is always welcome! right? Last week I picked a few "new to me" items that included, Balsamic vinegar, Red grape vinegar and a packet of sunflower seeds. Don't worry not all went into this. I have used red grape vinegar in this recipe.

The chicken is marinated, then cooked in very little water with some spices, shredded and then goes into the sauted onions and stuffs. Khalas!


Lemony Garlicy Chicken Shreds For Filling

INGREDIENTS

Marinade
400 grams chicken breasts
2 tablespoon olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon red grape vinegar
2 to 3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried basil or oregano or thyme also works well
Salt and pepper to taste

Cover and cook the marinated chicken breasts
1/4 cup water (approx)
1 bay leaf
2 cardamom pods
2 cloves
1 small piece cinnamon sticks
Salt to taste

Shred chicken and add to 
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
Dry Chilli flakes - per taste
Choice of hot sauces - as per taste

METHOD

  1. Marinate the chicken breasts for at least 4 hours 
  2. Add very little water in a shallow pan along with other items listed and cover and cook the chicken breasts until well done 
  3. You have to check and add more water if required to cook the chicken completely
  4. Take out the cooked chicken breasts and shred them using two forks while still hot and keep aside
  5. In the same pan, heat oil and saute the chopped onions until translucent - add a little salt that will help soften the onions faster and evenly 
  6. Add the remaining items - tomato paste, ketchup and hot sauces 
  7. Tip in the chicken shreds and mix well 
  8. Stir it thoroughly to coat well
  9. Taste test and adjust accordingly 
  10. Stir in the chilli flakes 
  11. Let it cool before you use it in as filling for samosas, rolls, sandwiches, or tortillas etc. 

I used it in the sandwiches shown here that is prepared on Philips Sandwich maker. For a more Indian version check my earlier recipe of Shredded Chicken Chilli.

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery