Instant Dates Chocolate Truffles | No Cooking

Monday, June 06, 2016

Ramadan Kareem!

Here is an easy and quick recipe of truffles for both dates and chocolate lovers. How it came into being ? --- the expiry date on my stock of Weinrich's 1895 Fine Milk Chocolate 32% Cocoa! One portion of it was used in the Bounty Pudding and then it got pushed behind and lost inside the refrigerator.

Can you believe I haven't been making any much desserts these days? After the Algerian Bradj, I had a little date paste remaining and wanted to use that up too. In order to remember to use it, I kept both the chocolate and the date paste in the refrigerator where I can see it whenever I open the door. So much to get inspired and get cooking a dessert! lol

Instant Dates Chocolate Truffles | No Cooking

Oven isn't coming any time soon now, nor do I want to bake in this hot summer. I try to stay away from the kitchen as its is really getting hot these days. So one fine day last week, I took them out and just decided to make some instant truffles. A small batch as a trial run wouldn't hurt even if it goes wrong. :-P

So, got to making it. Chopped the Fine Milk Chocolate 32% Cocoa into small pieces. Put them into my spice blender and made it fine powder with little bites here and there. Mixed this with the dates paste and sesame seeds with help of a little coconut oil on my fingers. Added some cocoa powder (a little bit of powdered sugar here would make this more sweet) and some flavoured water. Voila! the dough is done. Roll them easily into desired size and dust with cocoa powder or icing sugar! Pop them into tiny paper cups and they look so pretty!

Instant Dates Chocolate Truffles | No Cooking

When I taste tested, it was a flavour blast inside my mouth - the unsweetened cocoa powder, then the blend of rich dates paste, with nutty sesame and the fine milk chocolate. Now I was doubtful if F would give up with the start of bitter - so I quickly drizzled some chocolate syrup on couple of them, but to my dismay they won't stick to it. It was so funny to see the syrup dance around the truffle refusing to stay put. So then I  squeezed in a little chocolate syrup by poking a couple of truffles and reserved that for him. Served him the original one first and I was so glad that he was enjoyed it. The syrup version kinda was nice too but the dates taste gets lost there.

This whole thing can be done so quickly and hardly anything to wash after. I don't have to list the benefits of dates, it is the best food one can have during the month of Ramadan! I have given an optional way of making it in the Notes section in case you do not get dates paste.

The fine milk chocolate brand I mentioned was the only one I get n Yanbu until recently. It is sweet on its own and the added sweetness of dates makes  this a perfect mild healthy dessert.

Dates Chocolate Truffles

Makes around 6 to 8 truffles

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup date paste
1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
1/4 cup chocolate, roughly chopped and then grounded in a processor or spice blender  (I used Weinrich's 1895 Fine Milk Chocolate 32% Cocoa)
2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for rolling and dusting (Hershey's 100% Cocoa)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or cardamom or rose water or any flavour you like
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil - just to help bring the mixture together

METHOD

  1. Add everything in a bowl
  2. Rub your finger with a little coconut oil 
  3. Mix and bring together and knead to a soft dough 
  4. Make same sized balls
  5. Roll each one lightly on cocoa powder ( you can mix a little powdered sugar to the cocoa powder if they are too bitter for you) 
  6. Serve as is or cold
NOTES: 
If you can’t find dates paste, soak the packaged dates in very hot water for 10 to 20 minutes, then drain and pat dry completely. Then blend it to paste and in the same blender, add the chopped chocolate and make a paste. Transfer, add rest of the items and knead. Make balls and coat with cocoa powder.

Instant Dates Chocolate Truffles | No Cooking

I will not be very active on any social media and also may do fewer blog post. however I will try to respond to any emails and comments that needs my attention. Hoping to stick to healthy ifthars and habits. As its just two of us, I have not done any planning or prep - this is the first time F can actually make fun of me - because I am the kind of person who plans to have a plan! :-P Not any more! 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery