Hard boiled Egg Samosa Squares with Dukkah Spice

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Who says only kids need food served "interestingly" different to get them to eat? Two adults here in Yanbu do too. Just 10 days into Ramadan and I am already running out of ideas of what to make for ifthar. Trust me, if it was just me, I would be happy with least things. For me it is always the main course - so I work on making interesting new dinners when my partner has made it very clear that Ifthar has to have a good spread. Well... though he did not explicitly state that, his expressions say a thousand words!

Today's recipe is inspired from my craving for Kerala style egg puff. Without an oven or puff pastry, I wanted to incorporate some of its elements into samosa sheets. Btw, the Switz Sambosa Sheets I got in the start of Ramadan has 100 sheets and they expire end of July. When I pointed out that to F all he had to say was "Make 5 samosa each day!" so much love for deep fried? :-(


 Hard boiled Egg Samosa Squares


This attempt of making squares will help me use up the sheets too! and what went into the making the masala is leftover chopped salad veggies. Oh! the most important thing, I have used Dukkah spice for the masala. Duqqa, Dukkah, Duka, etc is an Egyptian spice blend that has no fixed recipe. I picked it just out of curiosity and upon researching, it is a blend that has hazelnut along with few other spices that differs from family to family.

Unfortunately, the pack I picked had no composition listed nor the contents. That means I may not be able to recreate this same taste if I run out of the stock! Blogging about this recipe anyways for those who are as curious as me and if you have samosa sheets to use up! :-P

Yields 6 samosa squares

Hard boiled Egg Samosa Squares

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon Fennel seeds
1 medium onion, finely sliced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
2 green chilli, finely chopped
a few curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon Dukkah powder
1/4 cup cubed green and red peppers (capsicums)
Salt to taste
2 hard boiled eggs (each sliced into 3 roundels)
Samosa sheets – 2 for each squares
Oil to fry

 Hard boiled Egg Samosa Squares

METHOD

  1. Heat the coconut oil in a pan
  2. Add the fennel seeds
  3. Once they start to crackle add the onions, ginger, green chilli and chopped curry leaves.
  4. Saute this over medium heat until the onions turn golden brown.
  5. Add the chopped peppers (green, red and/or yellow)
  6. Add the chilli powder, Dukkah masala, salt to taste and saute till the oil starts to separate. 
  7. Turn the heat off and set aside.
  8. Slice the eggs into roundels (which I didn't do, but realised later that it would be a better choice)
  9. Take two samosa sheets and follow the images for folding idea 
  10. Use water to seal as you go wrapping around
  11. Deep/shallow fry in enough oil on low to medium flame
  12. Flip using a slotted spoon and fry both sides until golden brown 
  13. Remove and leave them on kitchen tissue to drain any excess oil
Just want to reiterate, cut the egg into roundels instead of wedges like here. Roundels will lay flat and help in wrapping up neatly. Also adjust the heat accordingly as we need to ensure the envelope of sheets be cooked evenly. 

Though I started with the crave for Kerala egg puff, this hard boiled egg samosa square has a blend of middle east spice and south Indian herb (curry leaves) :-)  

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery