Salted Caramel Chocolate No-Churn Ice Cream

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Last week  I woke up from a bad dream I was having and as a habit reached for the phone... checked the time, checked the notifications, then checked random ones.. and one of them instantly brought a smile and made me forget the bad dream. It was an Instagram comment on my Butter Chicken post. I know they say to refrain from checking the phone first thing when you wake up... I am not sorry as that actually is what I do every single day and before going to bed. Rest of the time I am on my laptop! :-P But trust me when I am with another human being, I am gadget free! How many of you are not guilty of checking phone first ?  On second note, why is it bad?

Alrighty..for those who are not on my Insta.. here is the image I shared on the day I made Salted Caramel Chocolate No-Churn Ice Cream!



After months of waiting, I finally saw Hershey's 100% Cocoa powder box in Al Raya Supermarket here in Yanbu. I have gone hunting for some cocoa powder in all the supermarkets but all they had were Heinz's Dark Chocolate powder. But what is really strange is this Hershey's box will expire by year end! So where have they been hoarding these?or is it all the "about to expire" products being transported to Yanbu? :-( Anyways, now that I have to use it up before it expires, I planned on making some chocolate ice cream.

Salted Caramel Chocolate No-Churn Ice Cream

Doesn't this make you want to dive in?

Making Salted caramel was in my to-do list for months. I have been wanting to try it ever since I had Cinnabon's salted caramel cinnamon roll from an airport outlet in Saudi. It remained somewhere back of my mind that something like Salt and caramel can exist and deliciously tasty! So that thought just reappeared as a pin during one of my Pinterest session - which I not only pinned but went ahead and made it right away!

Salted Caramel Chocolate No-Churn Ice Cream

I had no idea or plans on what to make out of the salted caramel. While it was cooling down, I went on to prepare my planned chocolate ice cream constantly thinking in my head if I have to do salted caramel mixed nuts as toppings over my ice cream etc.. and without any warning I was added the salted caramel itself into my ice cream batter! :-P Talk about clashing ideas within your thoughts! I was sceptical but just went ahead with my gut instinct and so glad I did. 

Salted Caramel Chocolate No-Churn Ice Cream

I am really struggling to describe the taste of this union of salt, sugar, chocolate! I can only tell you that I have fallen in love with it and can have it any time of the day. This is super easy to make and super lasting for days. You have to HAVE to stand next to the pan while making the caramel with eyes glued on the pan and hands free to be able to take it off at the right time.

Yields 4 scoops

Salted Caramel Chocolate No-Churn Ice Cream

INGREDIENTS 

For the Salted Caramel - 1 cup adapted from here

1/2 cup sugar
45 grams natural butter, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon salt

For the chocolate ice cream with salted caramel

3 tablespoon cocoa powder (Hershey's 100% cocoa)
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup salted caramel
1 cup whipping cream, whipped

METHOD

Prepare the Salted Caramel
  1. Heat sugar in a thick bottomed sauce pan until it melts and starts to brown
  2. Add in the butter cubes and stir until melted 
  3. Tip in the whipping cream and stir 
  4. Let it boil and then wait for a minute - now you will see the mixture rise up
  5. Switch off and add salt
  6. Stir well and let it cool 
Put together the Ice Cream 
  1. In a wide mouthed bowl, sift in the cocoa powder, add in the condensed milk and the salted caramel
  2. Whisk the mixture together with a fork or spatula until well incorporated 
  3. Fold in the whipped cream into the above mix until well incorporated 
  4. Pour the ice cream batter into a freezer box and freeze for 5 to 6 hours or overnight
  5. Scoop and serve with salted caramel drizzled and some choice of chopped nuts
NOTES:
  • You can refrigerate the leftover salted caramel and warm it up for few seconds in microwave whenever you want to use it. 
  • Drizzle more salted caramel for richer taste
  • Freeze the ice cream overnight for best results

Salted Caramel Chocolate No-Churn Ice Cream

Caramel haters, including me - the only reason I never liked caramel chocolates was because it makes a mess in my teeth and hard to get around it and chew neatly. I think there is no way of eating posh if you are eating a caramel stuffed chocolate as you will end up with a massive jaw workout! :-P But trust me, the ice cream with salted caramel is a must taste as it does not behave the same way!

I still have some Salted Caramel left over, thinking may be salted caramel popcorns?

You'll Also Love These

1 Thoughts

  1. Ooh, that looks delicious. Unfortunately, I don't have most of those ingredients. I don't keep sugar in the house, for good reason! But I can tell from those photos that this ice cream has the intense chocolate favour I yearn for!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery