Jabeez | Yemeni Savoury Pancake

Sunday, May 01, 2016

As part of the MENA Cooking Club, this month we are sharing Yemeni food! The dishes included in the challenge were:

  • Jabeez
  • Red Bean Stew (Fasoulia)
  • Khaliat al nahl

I was really hoping to see Malawah, my favourite Yemeni flat-bread that we have most of the Fridays for breakfast on the list. I have mentioned about it a few times in my blog and am still trying to master it in a healthy way as it uses loads of butter! But for this challenge, I chose to go with Jabeez as Red Bean Stew or Fasoulia didn't really make me want to do it.. and the dessert, Khaliat al nahl is a honey comb type cake that I wouldn't be able to pull off without an oven. So Jabeez it is!

Jabeez | Yemeni Savoury Pancake

I kept postponing making Jabeez hoping to find more recipes on the internet that will help me get an idea. Unfortunately I did not find much about Jabeez so went with the only blog that had this recipe and adapted with a few changes. The original recipe reminded me of Adai, a south Indian savoury pancake. It is similar to Adai but here we use legume instead of lentil and here there is yeast which is not added for Adai.

According to the author of Yemeniyah blog, Dr. Lamya Almas, Jabeez is eaten in Aden, and no where else in Yemen. Guess that answers why this recipe is not well known. Honestly I was apprehensive to make Jabeez as F did not relish Adai and also it was green colour which kinda does not appeal to him at all. So I made less than the original recipe but added the whole egg and also yoghurt hoping to avoid too much yeast odour which can be a put off early morning!  :-|

Jabeez | Yemeni Savoury Pancake

I made this on a Friday morning instead of our usual Malawah, but had dosa batter as a backup plan! :-P But when I served one jabeez fresh out of the pan he loved it and we both were surprised. I got 8 pancake sized Jabeez that I served with yoghurt sauce. It was all over in no time. This recipe is a keep and I am sure this can be made with other similar legumes too.

Jabeez | Yemeni Savoury Pancake

Jabeez | Yemeni Savoury Pancake

Adapted from Yemeniyah
Yields: 8 Jabeez

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup black eyed peas bean soaked overnight
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 green chillies, finely chopped
2 to 3 tablespoons of finely diced green pepper/capsicum
1 egg
fistful coriander leaves
1 tablespoon thick yoghurt
1 cup luke warm water (more or less)
salt to taste
a few teaspoons of olive oil for frying ( or any cooking oil)

METHOD:

For the batter: 

  1. Drain the soaked legume bean and grind into a coarse paste. 
  2. Transfer the content into a deep bowl and add rest of the ingredients except the water and give a good mix
  3. Slowly add water little by little until everything comes together as a thick batter. Not runny. 
  4. Cover the bowl and keep it aside for about 20 to 30 minutes

Prepare Jabeez

  1. Heat a non-stick pan or any tawa and grease it with olive oil or any cooking oil
  2. Pour one ladle of batter in the centre of the pan and lightly spread it using the same ladle to reduce the thickness 
  3. Cover and cook until you see the top is dried and bottom starts to brown
  4. Open, flip and cook the other side until done and transfer to plate
  5. Serve with yoghurt sauce and more onions
Jabeez | Yemeni Savoury Pancake

Yoghurt and yeast together in a batter gives really soft and fluffy bread and Iwas surprised it acted just like pancakes while it was getting cooked. Had to click pictures in a jiffy as an hangry man was waiting and didn't even realize the iphone was set on Square! Has been happening to me quiet often these days.. :-(

Now, lets check out what my fellow #menacookingclub members have brought to the table....

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery