Beef Goulash

Sunday, May 29, 2016

During our stay at the Taj Dubai in February, we had our daily breakfast from the Tesoro restaurant. Only a day before checking out, I realized it was a Peruvian cuisine restaurant and so wanted to try out their lunch meal. I was so hungry that I skipped soup and salads, went straight to the main course and served myself a big portion of white rice and their Goulash that the Chef recommended. I was so hooked to it and made a mental note to come home and try making it. It was the first time I heard the word Goulash.

Beef Goulash


Getting back to Yanbu and the usual grind, I saw UmmHamza's post on Smoked Paprika Beef Stew and it looked so much like the Goulash I had. And to top it, she had tagged it as Goulash! I was so relieved that I don't have to spent time searching! Yet, I went on to find out more about goulash and Peruvian in general.

Goulash is a soup or stew of meat and vegetables, seasoned with paprika and other spices. Originating from the medieval Kingdom of Hungary, goulash is also a popular meal in Central Europe, Scandinavia and Southern Europe. - Wiki. 

The Peruvian recipes that I came across did not look anywhere close to what we had. So I just searched for Beef Goulash and noticed that most of them require dredging of the beef, which is to pan roast and coat with flour. These recipes required beef broth to bring in the flavour to the stew. So in the absence of broth and not liking the idea of coating with flour, I went with a very Indian method of cooking the beef in Pressure cooker with water, that will give me the broth!

Beef Goulash

The first time I tried with Kashmiri Chilli powder as I did not have smoked paprika and  I couldn't wait for the weekend to look out for it. But I made them again with Hot Paprika as I had no luck with smoked one yet! Also used a bit of turmeric as our mothers have taught to do that with beef! and used some grated potato to bring in a creamy texture in the absence of flour.

As Halal Home Cooking's Smoked Paprika Beef Stew looked so much like the one we had, I adapted her recipe.

Beef Goulash

INGREDIENTS:

Pressure cook:
350 grams beef chunks 
1 small potato, grated or chopped smaller chunks 
2 cups water 
1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional)

For the stew:
2 tablespoon olive oil 
2 medium red onions, chopped finely 
2 carrots, cut into roundels
1 medium potato, chopped in chunks 
3 garlic cloves, crushed and grated or minced 
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tomato, chopped finely
1 teaspoon hot paprika powder (smoked preferred, or use kashmiri red chilli powder)
1 teaspoon red chilli powder 
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 cup of water - or more as per desired consistency
1 red bell pepper / capsicum, chopped in same size of cubes
1/3 cup frozen green peas
Coriander leaves to garnish

METHOD

  1. Pressure cook the contents listed under "Pressure cook" for 4 to 6 whistles on medium flame and let it cool on its own
  2. Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a large cooking pot
  3. Add in the the chopped onions and stir until onions are translucent.
  4. Add garlic, bay leaves, chopped tomato and tomato paste, sauté for a few minutes until the fresh tomatoes breaks down
  5. Add in the spice powders 
  6. Add the chopped carrots and potatoes 
  7. Tip in the pressure cooker contents along with additional water
  8. Cover and cook for 30 to 40 minutes or longer minutes on low flame. (Do occasionally stir the stew to prevent from sticking or burning) 
  9. Add the chopped red bell pepper towards the end of cooking time, to retain its crunchiness. Cook more if you don't like it raw
  10. Add the thawed frozen peas about 5 to 10 minutes before the end of cooking. 
  11. Garnished with chopped coriander leaves 
  12. Serve warm with steamed white rice!
Beef Goulash

Also, introducing on my blog for the first time is my bottled money plant that F got me a while back. I have transferred it into my favourite cup. 

You can add beans too, I didn't have it that time. Like any stew, it tastes better the next day so I made mine in the morning and by dinner we had a flavour packed Beef Goulash!

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery