Falafel with Black Chickpeas

Friday, April 08, 2016

I made these black chickpeas Falafel on 12th of March 2016! That is almost a month! : -O so it is time to make them again! I usually do not delay posting tea time treats, but lately, I have been focusing not-blogging and this kept taking a back seat. Deep frying is a weekly tradition for us, well mostly. And yet I managed to sustain a 1.8 litres oil bottle for almost a month and a half. Now please do not tell me if it is too much consumption for two! Ever since portion controlling came into the scene of our diet, I have been using the marker pen that writes on anything to note the date I start using it. So it helps me to kerb my usage and sustain it for longer which benefits both health and his wallet! :-P And yeah, I keep two bottles of oil, one for cooking and the other for frying. That meticulous I am! :-D

Falafel with Black Chickpeas

Don't you think these falafels look adorable? I couldn't get enough... The first time I had Falafel wrap was a few years ago at a Bangalore Mall which had a Lebanese Bistro. But as I had too many items from across the food court, the word Falafel got registered in my head but I had no idea which one or what it was and never bothered to check as I hardly cooked those days of singledom! Shift to Yanbu, one of our early days here, we went on a long road trip and F picked some Falafel wraps to eat on the way and that's when I connected the dots. Falafel are these patties that can be had even in a wrap! The one I had here, had sliced eggs stuffed with some parsley and tomatoes. Unfortunately, I never got to have them again as that place closed down and we haven't been able to locate one that serves this when we want it.

Then I went back to India, and during Ramadan, tried at least two to three recipes from the Internet and I was not happy with any.  Some recipe had asked to cook the chickpeas, which was a disaster as it sucked all the oil, and some other recipe made me add ginger garlic with greens that were bad taste. Just before the last few days of Ramadan, I had nailed the perfect recipe of Falafel that did not break while frying nor did drink the oil. Isn't that what we want when we deep fry food?

Falafel with Black Chickpeas

I really forgot the source of the recipe but I had it written it in my recipe diary which travels with me. I was not even blogging those days so it never occurred to make note of the source. Now that I am a self-proclaimed far better cook than I was! :-D I can not only make them but also try differently..  (don't roll your eyes on me!)

So how come with black chickpeas this time? Well, it is funny to share, I had soaked black chickpeas to make Kerala Kadala Curry for weekend breakfast, but it never happened and when I drained it to put it back into the fridge, I realised I can make some falafel for the evening snack for chai...! :-)  We loved it and I am glad I tried it.

Falafel with Black Chickpeas

Falafel with Black Chickpeas

Yields: 15 Falafels 

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup black chickpeas
1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
1/2 cup loosely packed coriander leaves 
2 tablespoons onion or half of a medium onion chopped finely
2 garlic cloves chopped finely 
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon allspice or garam masala
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Oil for frying 

METHOD

  1. Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water or for four to five hours in warm water. 
  2. Wash and drain the soaked chickpeas 
  3. In a mixie or grinder, grind the chickpeas to a coarse texture, now add the remaining ingredients minus the baking powder and grind them all together to a coarse paste. It doesn't have to be super fine smooth. If the mixture is too dry, feel free to add a few drops of water but the mixture should not be too wet that you cannot handle. 
  4. Taste the mixture and fix the salt and spices as per your taste
  5. Transfer the content into a bowl and mix in the baking powder 
  6. Heat enough oil in a Kadai or pan for deep frying - at least 2 inches of oil 
  7. Make desired size of balls and flatten a little between your palms or with your fingers
  8. Drop a few falafels in the hot oil and fry them on low to medium flame until brown flipping occasionally to cook both sides. 
  9. With a slotted spoon remove the fried falafels and place them in a colander or kitchen paper towel to get rid of any excess oil 
  10. Serve with yoghurt garlic sauce or tahini sauce, or just a cup of tea 
Notes:
  • If you find it hard to shape the falafel or it breaks while frying, which happens only if too much water is added, then you can fix it by adding some plain flour.
  • Always check the oil before you start frying. You can do it by dropping a small bit and if it sizzles up then it is ready. 
  • Fry in low to medium flame, as we need to have the mixture cooked. It should be crispy outside and soft inside. '
  • You can shape them and keep it in the fridge and fry whenever you need it on the same day. I have read that it freezes well too. 
  • You can replace the black with white chickpeas in this recipe
  • For tahini sauce or yoghurt garlic sauce, just add some grated garlic and salt as per your taste

Falafel with Black Chickpeas

Falafel is usually made with a combination of dried chickpeas and dried Fava beans. I have never tried making with fava beans because I did not favour the flavour when I made Fool. But recently I picked a pack of split fava beans and am thinking I should give it a try!

So what are you waiting for? If you have never made falafels or made and had an oil soaked lump, then give this recipe a chance and I am sure you will not regret it. 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery