Fenugreek Leaves Pulao | Methi Pulav

Monday, March 07, 2016

I wanted to post this recipe yesterday, but I couldn't get to the point of what to write.. I felt so blank. All day I just read my old posts to get some kind of thought flowing.. and this morning I came to desk and still have the same feeling.. somebody told me I was having writer's block! a fancy name indeed but I ain't any writer :-D... So let me get to just sharing life lately here... as for the weather - goodbye Winter!

Last weekend I blurted out "I love Yanbu!" during our aimless long drive because of the sheer beauty of this place. Coming back from the mad rush of Dubai and then having to see the still water of the Red sea, the quiet roads, the two shaded sea, and the few shopping malls, just made me realize that I prefer to live here than amidst the mad race of big cities. F was quick to respond that I will change that statement soon. :-P

Yanbu's 9th  annual flower and garden festival has been happening and we haven't made to it yet! This would be our first time and I hope I get to see all of it InshaAllah!  Even though I love to go for these festivals, the crowd of people puts me off.  So it is not surprising to know in my 10 years of Bangalore life, I just went once to Lal Bagh flower show :-P

Fenugreek Leaves Pulao | Methi Pulav

Coming to today's recipe, I know there is quiet a few fenugreek recipes in my blog, (sheepish grin) :-) but this is my second rice recipe, so I am good right? This methi pulav recipe was shared by Kanisha, a very good friend who never fails to inspire and motivate me, always ready to listen to me any time of the day and was my boss for a short period! :-) I made this methi pulav on Friday for lunch and I loved it and was super surprised that it went well with F too :-). Thank you Kanisha!

This is a flavourful rice with fresh methi leaves, and the ground green chillies with fennel seeds and other usual spices, and top it all cooked in coconut milk! I love the aroma of fennel seeds and never fail to add a few in my evening tea! So anything that calls for fennel seeds is sure to win me. And the coconut milk, need I say? As much as I love to cook, making curries is not my thing.. I make them anyways but try to avoid it as much as I can.. so here too, I didn't prepare any curry instead served with just plain yogurt and some beef cutlets to please the man.

Fenugreek Leaves Pulao | Methi Pulav

Fenugreek Leaves Pulao | Methi Pulav

Yields: 5 to 6 servings (we had for lunch and then dinner too)

INGREDIENTS: 

Grind to Paste: 
5 green chillies
1 medium onion chunked
2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
Fistful fresh coriander leaves
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
Salt to taste

For Saute:
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil (or any cooking oil)
1 tablespoon of ghee
Whole spices - 2 cardamom, 2 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 big bay leaf
3/4 to 1 cup fresh methi leaves
1 medium onion chopped finely
2 medium tomatoes chopped
1/4 cup frozen green peas
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala

For the Pulav
1 and 1/2 cup basmati rice
2 cups of boiling water
1 cup  of thick Coconut milk

METHOD:

Pre-req
  1. Remove fenugreek leaves from the stems, wash it thoroughly in water at least 3 to 4 times until no trace of dirt is seen. Leave them in a colander to drain the excess water
  2. Wash the rice and soak in clean water for at least 20 to 30 minutes and then drain the water 
  3. Remove the frozen green peas and keep aside 
  4. Prepare the paste by grinding all the items listed under Grind to Paste
Preparation
  1. In a deep pot that you usually use to prepare rice, heat oil and ghee and add all the whole spices
  2. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they are translucent 
  3. Add the chopped fenugreek leaves and the chopped tomatoes - Sauté until oil separates from the mixture or when the tomatoes are all mashed up
  4. Meanwhile, boil 2 cups of water 
  5. Add the thawed green peas, prepared paste, coriander powder, and garam masala powder - Sauté till the paste is cooked and all the raw smell is gone 
  6. Add the drained rice and the 2 cups of boiling water and 1 cup of thick coconut milk 
  7. Add salt for taste 
  8. Let it come to a full boil and cook open until surface level water is absorbed 
  9. Close and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until well done. (or if you are comfortable, you can make this entire dish in a pressure cooker) 
  10. Serve with raitha, pickle or some non-veg gravy if your folks are pure non-vegetarians! :-P 
Fenugreek Leaves Pulao | Methi Pulav

I prepared the rice first and was sceptical if F will like it? So just to please him, I made beef cutlets and served it along with some plain yogurt. We had it for lunch and dinner! :-P This recipe is just a guideline, you can spruce it up by adding any choice of greens or veggies or even chicken. The addition of coconut milk was a deviation from the original recipe and I am glad I did that. You can totally avoid the coconut milk and just use water to cook the rice. 

Now, if you have your own fail proof method to cook the rice, please do follow that method as the process of cooking rice to perfection differs in each kitchen :-)

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery