Dill Leaves Stuffed Kulcha

Saturday, March 19, 2016

What a week! I cooked a few new dishes mostly Middle Eastern and finally got around to make an Albanian dish for my globecookingmad challenge. Phew.. and then Friday for the first time we went to watch the Yanbu Flower and Garden Festival. It was massive but just failed to attract me because of the crowd. I saw more people than flowers! :-) And then all these selfie enthus were not leaving the bay for others to take a look at the garden... so I just got back home happy at least I got to walk a lot! But really hats off to the people behind the work, it is indeed mesmerizing to watch a bed of flowers bright and shining in the sunlight..MashaAllah!

After couple of disasters with baking, I thought I should just get back to posting my comfort zone cooking! So a flat-bread it is. This Kulcha was made last month and was sitting in my drafts for a rainy day like this week! I already have a plain kulcha recipe in this blog, but this is different because of the additional dill leaves, and the ratio of all purpose flour and wheat flour.

Dill Leaves Stuffed Kulcha

While at this, I have to share something that is funny but disturbing my confidence. Some days I have no choice but to make the plain chapathi, which used to be a cakewalk for me. But these days as it is become a rare thing to make chapathi, I realize they are not as soft as it used to be! How can my chapathi making skills die because I make parathas more often? So off late, I am trying different methods to strike it right and the only closest to soft chapathi I had is when I knead the dough with some lukewarm water. Honestly I never had to do it!

So back to Dill leaves Kulcha, this time I wanted to stick to the original way of making kulcha and that is with all purpose flour. Sometimes I feel too much information is also not good and it could be a misinformation too. With the plethora of knowledge every self proclaimed dietitian spreads, it has become our second nature to look at the plate of food and see 'Gluten, GI, Carb, etc' instead of enjoying the meal which will win half the battle! Because its all about feeling good in your own skin.

Dill Leaves Stuffed Kulcha

I have added dill leaves, but it can be replaced for any of your favourite greens; just ensure not to add too much that it weighs down the dough. It is best had hot so prepare it closer to the serving time. It pairs well with any thick veg or non-veg curry. I prefer to have it with some beef masala or chicken tikka masala!

Dill Leaves Stuffed Kulcha 

INGREDIENTS:

Dry Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt (or for taste)
2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped dill leaves

Wet Ingredients:
4 tablespoon yogurt
2 and 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
3/4 cup water

Toppings: 
Nigella seeds or Sesame seeds or ajwain seeds etc.

Other:
Ghee or butter  to roast the Kulcha
plain flour for dusting while rolling the dough

Dill Leaves Stuffed Kulcha


METHOD:
  1. In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients 
  2. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the wet ingredients
  3. Mix everything into a smooth dough
  4. Keep the dough covered in the bowl with a plate or cloth for at least 2 hours. 
  5. Knead the dough again and make equal sized dough balls ( 10 to 12 ) 
  6. Lightly flatten it with hands and dust a few toppings of your choice in the middle and start rolling it. Keep it thicker than pooris.  
  7. In a very hot tawa or griddle, lay the rolled kulca with the toppings side up 
  8. Flip it when you see bubbles sprouting 
  9. Spread some ghee or butter on both sides while it is getting cooked 
  10. Serve hot with any veg or non-veg spicy curry
A peek at the festival...

Yanbu Flower Festival

one more.. 

Yanbu Flower Festival

So that's it from me.. how was your weekend? 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery