Batheeth | No-Bake Emirati Dates Cookie

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Let me tell you.. I do have other recipes in draft that were cooked much before than these adorable dates cookies, but today I want to share Batheeth because it is an easy to make and so easier for me to write up the whole thing in short time. :-) and to be honest the other drafts are flat-breads :-P

I can never fall out of love for dates as it is the best go-to snack/dessert to please the sweet tooth. am I right? In my taste-bud report, it ranks the highest among all other dry fruits. Is it same with you? I bet it is. When F used to come to India to visit me, I used to ask him for a box of dates! Gulf dates are the best. On that note let me share a moment that got associated with dates forever... I chose to work-from-home from in-laws for couple of months before quitting for good. As after that I had to come to Yanbu, so just wanted to spend some time living with them.  I used snack on Umma's stock of dates that were mostly untouched and soon she found that I could help her finish her stock! :-D Once she left  a bowl of dates next to my laptop when I was on a con call and she mimed to have it ... that gesture is imprinted in my heart that any-time I see a bowl of dates, I remember her.

Batheeth | No-Bake Emirati Dates Cookie

We all have a must-try, things-to-do, etc kinda list right? or is it just me? I used to track all the recipes I come across that I want to recreate in an excel sheet. But my current laptop doesn't have an excel program and I hate the web version, so have been just stacking-up my Favourites bar so much that I eventually had to sit and clean/clear them. That is when I found the recipe of Batheeth!

Batheeth is an Emirati (UAE) sweet soft cookie that is served with Gahwa or Arabic coffee. It is a mixture of dates and whole wheat flour along with any choice of nuts infused with cardamom and ginger! It can be made into any shape and size or even had just like that. Medjool or Sukkary dates or any soft dates is best to make Batheeth. If you can get a packet of dates paste, then there is hardly any work involved!

Batheeth | No-Bake Emirati Dates Cookie

I am not sure of what an authentic batheeth shape is, I noticed it is made in balls mostly. I just wanted to make it richer by stuffing nuts inside and outside, so you have a nutty taste in every way you bite!

Batheeth | No-Bake Emirati Dates Cookie

Yields: 12 Batheeths

INGREDIENTS: 

1 cup date paste
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup chopped nuts  (pistachios and walnuts)
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger juice
White sesame seeds - to coat the batheeth
12 almonds to garnish each cookie

METHOD: 

If you are using whole dates, then pit and soak them in very little hot water and cook on low heat into a paste. You can refer this recipe to make your own dates paste, I have not tried making though.
  1. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, add the wheat flour and cook over low to medium heat, stirring constantly until golden brown. Approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and keep aside. 
  2. Add the dates paste to the flour and return the pan to the stove to cook for 2-3 minutes to soften the dates. You will need to spend some time trying to get the flour and dates paste come together neatly. 
  3. Stir in the cardamom powder into the just melted butter to infuse the flavour and add it to the flour mixture along with ginger juice. Mix everything thoroughly until all comes together. Remove from heat and leave to cool - not too long as you need it warm to make balls.
  4. When the mixture is cool enough to handle, mix all together with your hands and then use a tablespoon of the mixture to shape into balls. 
  5. Make a dent in the centre of the ball with your thumb and fill it with some chopped nuts. Now, close the ball carefully and shape it back into a ball and roll the ball in sesame seeds to coat them. Flatten a bit and press in an almond. Batheeth ready! 
  6. Usually served with Arabic coffee, I served with tea and also as dessert! 
Batheeth | No-Bake Emirati Dates Cookie

Batheeth stays good for days in air tight box in room temperature. I had mine last up to 4 days. I wanted to take some effort in capturing good pictures using the natural day light but then I was left with just four. Still went ahead and clicked a couple of them with F actively helping me!


updated new image 10/10/2016
Batheeth | No-Bake Emirati Dates Cookie

It is addictive like chips but as it has loads of nuts, I stopped him from finishing off. I had the remaining four in next two days as my snack! :-P I really enjoyed making Batheeth as much as we enjoyed eating ... If you love dates or have never prepared any dish with dates, then this is an easy and tasty recipe that you should give a try. 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery