Banana Pecan Dark Chocolate Loaf Cake | Stove-top

Thursday, March 03, 2016

Half of the dessert recipes in my index are cakes that too despite not having an oven. :-) Baking in any medium is indeed therapeutic isn't it? Also, I most often end up with a naked cake just to avoid the extra calories, even though I know it would take the cake to another level! Baking on stove-top has gotten even more interesting ever since I got a perfectly sized loaf pan which controls our portion! It is so hard to find a small sized baking pans easily here, this one was the only one staring at me at the aisle.

As bananas get ripe and blacken too soon, I usually pick just 6 to 8 bananas for the week. So baking with banana never occurs. But one of the weeks I had a few overripe bananas because F picked a whole bunch that week. I refrigerated once I saw them blackening. There was this frozen banana ice cream video floating on the facebook feed, but my mind was screaming to bake a banana cake after I saw Umm Hamza's Glazed banana bread. You think something and when you set to do it.. you have different new ideas.. does that happen to you? I went totally different direction and so posting the recipe here.

Banana Pecan Dark Chocolate Loaf Cake | Stove-top

This cake was baked on 9th Feb as I wanted to use up my cocoa powder nearing expiration. Also used the pecans that I have been saving from F's snacking tendency! I had picked the pecans to make something I saw on-line, but I totally forgot what it was for. :-) So now it is clear it was destined for this marriage with bananas.

This time, I used an old curry pot that I was about to discard until I realized it was the perfect fit for the loaf pan. The pot should hold the entire loaf pan comfortably and you need a lid that has a knob to close/open. I kept it open. You can use a curry pot and a lid that has a hole. Most of the pots come with a steam releasing hole on the lid. Such utensils can be used for stove-top baking. I couldn't take pictures of the process, but hope my instructions are clear enough. But whatever pan or pot you use, it has to be kept over a flat tawa or flat pan that helps is distributing the heat evenly.

Banana Pecan Dark Chocolate Loaf Cake | Stove-top

My loaf pan size - 8 inches length and 4 inches breadth and 2.5 inches deep. or 8 x 4 x 2.5 inches that can hold upto 4 cups of water. 


Banana Pecan Dark Chocolate Loaf Cake | Stove-top

INGREDIENTS:

Dry:
1/2 cup + 6 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon unsweetened dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped (divided)
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Wet:
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 ripe bananas mashed well (about 3/4 cups)

Method:
  1. Place a baking sheet in a loaf pan or just grease the pan with a few drops of oil or butter
  2. Place a flat-pan or tawa on a medium heat 
  3. Place the curry pot over the tawa
  4. In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients (keep some chopped pecans for later)
  5. In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg lightly and add in all the wet ingredients 
  6. Fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture bowl until combined. Do not over mix the batter. The batter is thick and may seem to be like a chunky dough 
  7. With a rubber spatula transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan
  8. Place the loaf pan into the curry pot that is on the tawa getting hot.. 
  9. Cover the pot with a lid that has steam-out knob or a opening as such 
  10. Now bake in medium for 20 to 30 mins and then reduce the flame to low, open and add the remaining nuts over the cake and bake for another 20 to 30 mins. On my stove-top it too total of 65 minutes 
  11. Check the doneness with a toothpick test - insert a toothpick in the middle of the loaf pan and if it comes out clean, then you can switch off the stove. 
  12. Remove the pan from the pot (use mitten or towel) and place it on a rack to cool
  13. You can take out the cake easily with the baking paper 
  14. Slice and serve as is or with a drizzle of honey or chocolate syrup :-P 
Banana Pecan Dark Chocolate Loaf Cake | Stove-top

Though I have used dark cocoa powder, and brown sugar the cake was still sweet enough because of the bananas and chocochips. This banana cake did not even last a day! That night after dinner, I took just three slices and served for us... you know trying to control portion. But what happened next.. we were holding the entire remaining loaf and taking turns to finish it.. :-D Do not do that.. cut and serve neatly. :-P

You can replace pecans with any choice of nuts, I think walnuts and almonds also go well. And the cocoa powder I get here is always Dark ones :-( you can use any other cocoa powder. You can also use the batter in any cake pan that can hold up-to 4 cups of water. If you do not have a baking sheet, you can just grease the pan with drops of oil.

So that's my another stove-top baking success story... hope this inspires you to bake and no oven should not be a reason...

Have a fabulous weekend! :-)

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery