Potato Fenugreek Leaves Stuffed Flat Bread | Aloo Methi Paratha

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Not a good week for me with both my maternal grandparents unwell and I am so far off from them. I am glad they have their children close by to take care. This morning I spoke to both of them to feel better but instead it just made me feel worse. All I can do from here is to hope and pray they get well soon.

Also, I have completely stopped workout and walks. It was so easy to drift away from the path I planned and succumb to being guilty of spending hours on the Internet. I think the wifi is the culprit. :-( Now I have to start all over again!

On a brighter note, I am sharing this recipe of Aloo Paratha that I developed only to free me from making a curry or even needing a pickle. Umma's bottle of pickle is over and I have not made the pickle I promised to make yet! So, this is not the usual Aloo paratha, here I have added methi leaves, and sautéed the onions and spices before adding them to the mashed potatoes. The thumb rule for making parathas is to keep the stuffing moisture free and use very little oil for the stuffing, else it will prevent us from rolling neatly after stuffing.

I have used the same technique showed in Gobi Paratha, but I just tried a small additional step that will give me a rounded edge than a flat one which is totally optional. Included some pictures that might help you understand better. I have ditched the usual aloo paratha ever since I made this way...




Update on 12th Jan 2017

I make these stuffed parathas both with two dough and single dough with the same recipe of stuffing. The plate in this image belongs to my new friend next door. I made some of these aloo methi paratha for her. :-) 

Potato Fenugreek Leaves Stuffed Flat Bread | Aloo Methi Paratha

Potato Fenugreek Leaves Stuffed Flat Bread | Aloo Methi Paratha

INGREDIENTS

For the dough
2 cups wheat flour
1 tablespoon oil or ghee
1 cup of water
Salt

For the stuffing
6 medium potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed

1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
2 medium onions finely chopped
2 to 3 finely chopped green chillies
up to 2 cups of fenugreek/methi leaves
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon dry mango powder or chat masala
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
mashed potatoes
handful fresh coriander leaves chopped

For rolling
Flour to dust and roll

For roasting
Oil or ghee


Single Dough method: updated on 12 Jan 2017

Potato Fenugreek Leaves Stuffed Flat Bread | Aloo Methi Paratha


METHOD:

Prepare the dough
  1. In a wide bowl, mix the wheat flour, salt, oil and start kneading while adding water little by little. You may or may not use the whole cup of water. 
  2. Knead for at least 10 to 15 minutes until you get a soft smooth dough. 
  3. Divide the dough into 8 to 10 balls and cover it to prevent from drying. 
Prepare the stuffing: 
  1. Wash and brush the potatoes off any dirt. 
  2. Boil them with skin and enough water to cover (I used a pressure cooker) so long that it is really soft and can be mashed easily without too many lumps. 
  3. While still hot, peel off the skin, and mash them well using a fork or masher.
  4. In a deep pan or Kadai, heat little oil or ghee and fry the coriander seeds until golden, 
  5. Add the onions and green chillies. Saute them until onions become translucent. 
  6. Now add the methi leaves and saute until wilted. 
  7. Add in the spice powders and roast for a few minutes. 
  8. Mix in the mashed potatoes and switch off. 
  9. Once cooled, transfer the content into a bowl and use your hands to combine everything well. 
  10. Mix in the coriander leaves and keep aside. 
Assembling:
  1. Take one ball and divide that into two equal balls 
  2. Roll each of them to a round shape in the size of poori or hand pie
  3. Place 2 tablespoons or more of the prepared stuffing in the middle of the rolled dough
  4. Use the spoon to spread it across leaving little space around the edge
  5. Place the other rolled dough over this and seal the sides by pressing the edges or you can also choose to bring the sealed edges back inwards to maintain a rounded edge 
  6. If you find air pocket, then use a fork to get rid of the air pockets 
  7. Repeat this for rest of the dough balls, ensuring to keep the stuffed ones covered

Preparing the Parathas
  1. Dip the stuffed balls in flour or dust flour over both the sides and the work area
  2. Roll this without ANY or least pressure - and without turning the side. Roll it as thick or thin you want. I prefer to keep it a little thicker than normal chapatis. 
  3. Heat a Tawa or non-stick pan on a medium to high flame 
  4. Place the rolled stuffed dough 
  5. Flip in less than 30 seconds or when you start seeing air bubbles
  6. Apply ghee all over the paratha and flip again in 30 seconds
  7. Apply ghee this side too and flip to cook evenly 
  8. Adjust the flame accordingly and do the rest of the balls
  9. Serve hot with any pickle or raita or just yoghurt
Potato Fenugreek Leaves Stuffed Flat Bread | Aloo Methi Paratha

That paratha on top with a piece missing was not intentional. You know who did that! I am lucky I got to take a picture. :-)

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery