Methi Lachha Paratha | Fenugreek Spiced Layered Flat-bread

Sunday, February 28, 2016

February is my all time favourite month. I think I have emphasised about this in some old post too. With less than 30 days, pay day comes early :-) though its been almost two years since I quit my job, I still know how it feels to get salary deposited message! The real reason is that this is the month I was born! :-) and I have never failed to celebrate it, even though I know celebrating birthday is not encouraged. I take this day to celebrate life and growing older and remembering all the struggles that helps me to know me, which btw is a work in progress. This year too, I spent the day doing what I love to do... travelling and sightseeing... and this time it was in Dubai! I have been sharing my Dubai experience via a picture a day on Instagram, so that I am still in the holiday mood :-P

This post was drafted before going on the short break, and was not intending to post this for a while as I have already bombarded you all with flat-breads! :-D But truly sorry, I do not have the time or vigour to draft a new post... so please kindly bare with me for this one time!

Today's recipe is totally inspired from Veg Recipes of India's Pudina Paratha. Here I have used fresh methi / fenugreek leaves in the dough and roasted fresh methi leaves for the spice mixture. The process will include - Preparing the dough, making the spice mixture, rolling and keeping the dough balls ready and then roll and roast the parathas. What makes this different from the usual Paratha is the folding technique which makes this a Lachha paratha.. meaning layered.

Methi Lachha Paratha | Fenugreek Spiced Layered Flat-bread

This is time consuming, so plan ahead to make it on time. Maybe you can prepare the spice mixture one day and next day prepare the dough and dough balls. Or you can totally save time by replacing kasoori methi instead of roasting the fresh leaves. Flatten and roast close to the serving time. I did all on one day as I have the luxury of time! The folding technique for this Paratha is like that of making pleats of a paper fan. If you are new to this technique, do not get intimidated, it is fairly easy to make them and I am sure you will find your easy way once you start trying.

Methi Lachha Paratha | Fenugreek Spiced Layered Flat-bread

INGREDIENTS:


For the dough:
1/2 cup tightly packed fresh chopped methi leaves
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 garlic clove grated
2 teaspoon melted ghee or butter
1 teaspoon salt or as per taste
Water as required (I had used close to a cup)

For the spice mix:
1/2 cup tightly packed fresh methi leaves (1 tablespoon kasoori methi)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
1 dry red chili

Enough oil or melted ghee for spreading on rolled dough and for roasting 

METHOD:

Ensure to have the methi leaves removed from the stems and wash them thoroughly to get rid of any dirt. Keep them in the colander to get rid of any excess water. 

Methi Lachha Paratha | Fenugreek Spiced Layered Flat-bread


Prepare the dough: In a bowl, add whole wheat flour, methi leaves, garlic, salt and ghee. Use your hand to mix the the flour while adding water little by little up to a cup (you may not require all of the water) and knead it well to form a smooth dough. Divide the dough into 8 to 10 equal balls and cover it with a cloth or lid. Let it rest for about 10 to 20 minutes

Prepare the spice mix: Roast 1/4 cup methi/fenugreek leaves on a non-stick pan on a low flame until it reduces to dry form and moisture-less. Then add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, peppercorns and dry red chilli. Dry roast these until fragrant. Remove from heat and keep aside. Once cooled, grind it to fine powder using a spice blender.

Methi Lachha Paratha | Fenugreek Spiced Layered Flat-bread


Prepare the parathas: Take one dough ball, knead it with your fingers and make it a smooth ball. Dust the work area and roll it as thin as you can. Then spread some melted ghee, sprinkle some flour and sprinkle some spice mixture so that it covers entire area of the spread. Start folding from the one edge like a fan with pleats until you reach the other end. Then roll it like shown into a circle by tucking the end underneath. Prepare the same for rest of the dough balls and let them rest for 10 minutes. 

Next, take one ball, dust some flour and roll it out, this time you won't make it super thin. You will maintain a little thickness to retain the layers that you will start seeing once it gets roasted. Place the rolled dough on the hot tawa and flip it when you see some puffing.. add melted ghee and roast both sides until cooked. Ensure to press the edges of the paratha to the centre of the tawa too cook evenly. 

Roast for longer time if you want crispy layers. Remove from tawa and place it on the work area and crush between your palms. This is to separate the layers. Repeat for all the remaining dough balls and serve hot with any raita or pickle. If you have left over of spice mixture, sprinkle it on each paratha while still hot before you serve.

This is best served with yogurt dip/raita and pickle. 

Methi Lachha Paratha | Fenugreek Spiced Layered Flat-bread

If my pictures are not helping you to understand the folding technique, I insist that you look at this video (I have shared exactly the section of folding) by my favourite channel.

If you are time crunched, you can opt to fold it differently like I had shared in Louki Dill leaves Paratha or any other way you are familiar with. The taste will not be compromised, the folding is just to give the layered look!

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery