Easy Lychee Ice Cream with a PunchTuesday, February 02, 2016
Lychees, litchi, liechee, or lichee is a tropical fruit which I got introduced to a few years ago while in Bangalore. I never bothered to buy them again because of the peeling task involved in it and not to mention that big fat seed residing inside just puts me off as after all the discarding.. you just have a few tiny pieces to actually eat.. with a full time job those days I resorted to cartons of Tropicana to satiate my lychee craves.
Easy Lychee Ice Cream with a Punch
5 to 6 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk (add or reduce as per taste)
1 teaspoon ginger grated and squeezed for juice
1 sachet of whipping powder (Dream Whip) prepared as per instruction*
- Wash, peel, pit the lychees
- Place the lychees' flesh in a food processor or mixie and blend until puréed
- In a big bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, ginger extract and lychee purée until combined.
- In another prepare the whipping cream as per packet instruction
- Fold the whipped cream into the lychee mixture constantly folding over and over until everything is combined. This takes a little bit time and patience.
- Pour the mixture into a freezer container or any bowl.
- Freeze overnight or at least for 4 hours
- Take the ice cream out from the freezer and leave on the kitchen counter for a few minutes before you scoop out.
- If you do not have an ice cream scooper, boil some water and dip a spoon and use it to scoop.
If you are using whipping cream that comes in carton and has no added sugar, then please add more sweetened condensed milk until you acquire the right sweetness.