Dill Leaves Lentil Fritters

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Back with dill leaves! :-) This time in a Vada!

Thursday evenings are mostly spent with a hot cup of tea and piping hot deep fried evening snacks welcoming the weekend. Every Thursday, I call F around tea time to check if he would be home soon and then get on to prepare some snacks which we both devour with the hot cup of tea. On these days the dinner is either skipped or had late. Did I hear you say "aren't you dieting?" I can't hear you well...:-P

Some days the tea time snacks tradition is moved to Friday or Saturday :-) As you all know I fail to cook meals during weekends, but never fail to plan for these bites and so soak up things required well ahead. This Dill leaves Lentil fritters or Parippu Vada was made on a Friday evening because I hadn't cooked lunch and we both were super hungry...I am so glad my moms are not on the internet reading this.. ;-)

Dill Leaves Lentil Fritters


This is a very easy to prepare as all you need is to grind the lentils with chillies and then mix the rest of the ingredients, make patties and deep fry! Also, if you do not have or get dill leaves, you can totally avoid it and use curry leaves or coriander leaves or even mint leaves.. there is no restriction as the channa dal pairs well with anything.


I forgot and regret not clicking a picture of the inside of the vadas. :-( These were gone in no time and does not require any accompaniments... There is always the one last piece that we just wait for each other to have. I always give up because you see I am on diet :-P

Dill Leaves Lentil Fritters

I made about 10 to 12 vadas but you could make more or less as it depends on the size you prefer.

Dill Leaves Lentil Fritters

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup channa dal (split Bengal gram)- soaked and ground coarsely with very little or no water
2 green chillies
1 dried red chilli
1/2 cup tightly packed chopped dill leaves
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon rice flour (more or less)
1 teaspoon ghee
a pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste

METHOD:
  1. Wash and soak the channa dal overnight or at least for 4 hours in lukewarm water 
  2. Drain and grind the dal along with the green and red chillies 
  3. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and add in the chopped dill leaves, fennel seeds, onions, salt, and asafoetida
  4. Mix all together and add some ghee and rice flour. The batter will be thick and sticky but can be worked on with wet hands. 
  5. Wet your palms and make a patty of desired size and deep fry in hot oil on medium flame as the lentils need to be cooked
  6. Add in a few more patties the Kadai can hold and flip it to fry both sides evenly 
  7. With a slotted spoon remove from oil and serve hot with ketchup along with a hot cup of tea! 

When Dining table becomes a messy work desk, then tea time becomes mobile :-P My love for dals and especially channa dals are so evident with the choice of recipes on my blog so I am going to share the love for it by linking this post to MLLA #92, conceptualized by Susan and hosted by Lisa.

Updates: I have created a Facebook Fan page!

Also, F and I will be travelling this week and so there would be no posts as I jitter at the thought of scheduling posts! :-D I think a short break from cooking and blogging will help me (and you):-P Have a great weekend!

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery