Vanilla Panna Cotta with Yoghurt

Friday, January 22, 2016

Weekend is here! Yay!

Our new routine of walking after dinner has been going great. I look forward for it every day and have had positive impacts on my overall health. I feel much lighter and more active these days. Alhamdulillah! I also believe that we must have inspired others, as we began to see a few men, group of men, couples also walking during the same time.. 

I have been wanting to make some dessert which uses gelatin because my box of gelatin is about to expire!! :-D No kidding! I was hunting for a recipe which had simple everyday ingredients and light on stomach. I must tell you that I have had very few successful attempts in making desserts using gelatin. This time I sought my blogger friend Raf's advise to clarify my doubts and put my fear of using gelatin to rest! Really you will need to learn the right way to use gelatin and its substitutes like agar agar and china grass else you can have the worst rubbery textured dessert like I had with my butter pudding back home! 

So the deal is for every 500 ml of liquid, use 10 gms of gelatin which is 3.25 teaspoons only. 

Panna cotta is an Italian dessert of sweetened cream thickened with gelatin and molded (wiki). The recipe I am sharing here is inspired and adapted from here. The fact that this recipe uses Yoghurt bought me instantly. It is so easy to put together and made just four hearts perfect for two people for two meals! I used my silicone heart shaped mould which released the Panna Cotta easily and neatly. You can just pour in any serving bowl and can have it straight from it. But this way, it looks pretty and makes the dressing even prettier. Pistachios go super well with rose water, and honey balances the sweetness. 


Vanilla Panna Cotta with Yoghurt

I always ask F to taste and guess what is included. For this, he could not guess the Yoghurt at all, though it is the main ingredient. So you see, it is a healthy one isn't it? You have to use the thick plain yoghurt and not the sour one. If you plan not to use honey, then add more sweetener in the mixture and serve right out of the fridge.

Vanilla Panna Cotta with Yoghurt

INGREDIENTS:

1 teaspoon unflavoured gelatin
2 tablespoons water
8 tablespoons cream
10 tablespoons plain yoghurt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder/extract
3 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon rose water

For serving
Black Forest Honey or of your choice
Chopped pistachios or nuts of your choice

METHOD: 
  1. In a small bowl add the gelatin and mix in the water and let sit until softened for about 2 minutes - stir to dissolve or microwave for 10 seconds or use warm water 
  2. In a sauce pan, add the cream, sugar and vanilla and rose water and heat until the sugar has dissolved (do NOT let it boil)
  3. Add the gelatin and stir until it has dissolved and take off the heat
  4. In another bowl, whisk the yoghurt using a whisk/fork until smooth
  5. Add the cream mixture to the yoghurt and whisk until combined
  6. Pour the mixture into the silicon moulds or your choice of serving bowls
  7. Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours
  8. Serve chilled topped with a drizzle of honey and chopped pistachios
  9. Enjoy the cold soft bites of silky cream in this chilly weather...
Vanilla Panna Cotta with Yoghurt

I am definitely going to make these again with different flavours. If you have never tried making a Panna cotta, there is no reason why you should wait to try this simplest one!

Happy Weekend! 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery