Spinach Yoghurt Dip | Palak Raita

Sunday, January 17, 2016

The week starts here and with that - the healthy eating plans get on the track. Why is it so difficult to keep up with eating healthy during weekends? Though we did not over eat, we definitely indulged in high calorie. We had Kheema naan, lamb vindaloo, and tandoor platter on one night and Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani last night. And no workout nor walking. I think all my last week's effort is gone...kaput!

This morning, after the usual Sunday chores, I sat and re-read my goals and actually took the effort to read the PeaceMindBody community discussion and downloaded all the plans. It is not something to do for a certain period of time, it is something I have to make my lifestyle. Not be in diet, but that is how I should be eating normally all time around the year and forever... I am not on a diet, I am on changing lifestyle. - because, a few years ago when I had what I thought was a knee pain, I went to see an ortho who examined and then scribbled on the prescription, "lifestyle modification" - I am not joking. That was what he wrote and told me to focus on losing weight and I will feel better and there is nothing wrong with my knee, it just cannot bear my weight! :-D I followed his advice and never had to visit an ortho again in my life. But now I am scared if I am getting back there.. sedentary life is so dangerous... get moving.. keep moving..

OK, all that was a reminder for myself. What I intend to do going forward is cook food even during weekends and avoid eating out which will save us some bucks and calories. and also the guilt. Sometimes I wish F wasn't a foodie :-P

Today's recipe, something I am sure most of you must have made or had. You know how much I love green leafy vegetables and how I keep trying to get F also to eat them. He made it very clear that Molokhia is never to be on his plate. So this time I tried Palak/Spinach in our favourite yoghurt dip/raita and he could not even make out what is added in it. Though he really did not enjoy like desserts, I am glad he had it. As I make parathas quiet often, raita is the best option and adding Palak just adds to the variety.

Spinach Yoghurt Dip | Palak Raita

INGREDIENTS:


1 cup whisked yoghurt
1 teaspoon oil
3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
3/4 teaspoon grated or chopped ginger
1 cup tightly packed chopped spinach leaves
1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
1/8 or two pinch of turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon of fennel powder (you can crush and add too)
a pinch of garam masala
1 green chilli chopped
Salt and pepper as per your taste
a pinch of two sumac for garnishing (optional)
a few mint leaves or coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)

METHOD:

  1. Wash the spinach thoroughly and ensure its free of dirt and let it drain in a colander
  2. Whisk a cup of yoghurt with a fork until its no longer thick (and add them into the serving bowl)
  3. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds - wait for it to splutter 
  4. Add the grated ginger and saute for a while until its fragrant 
  5. Add the drained spinach leaves and all the spice powders 
  6. Saute until the leaves are wilted 
  7. Add the chopped green chilli and then add the mixture into the bowl of yoghurt and gently mix 
  8. Do a taste test and adjust the salt and pepper
  9. Garnish with mint leaves and sprinkle sumac on top
  10. Refrigerate and serve cold or serve in room temperature with parathas or just have it on its own like I do... 
Note: You can do this without the oil and cumin tadka.. just wilt the leaves and add all the spice powders with 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder too. 


Add some extra spoonful of Yoghurt along with the 1 cup, because as you can clearly see, I had gulped down a few spoonfuls while taste testing! :-P And with the new found love for sumac, I add it wherever possible and so have been doing it with all my salads and dips! If you do not have it, or you do not like it, you can skip that and still have a tasty dip.

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery