Spiced Yoghurt Cake

Monday, January 25, 2016

This weekend was hectic. Guess why? because I cooked lunch both the days.. Yeaaaah, I know... it is an everyday task for most of you. As its just two of us, I feel so lazy to make a whole lot of spread on a weekend - which for me means no time with F and full time in kitchen. Not a good idea right? or is it not a good excuse?? :-P

I believe as a foodie, I ought to eat out to discover new cuisines and then try to make in my own kitchen...but when it is in Yanbu, you have very little choice and the best one is our usual take away from a small Yemeni restaurant. Their Malawah flat bread with Fool and Shakshouka is out of the world. I tried making Malawah, but yet to master it and find better ways to make it on stove-top. If you ask me what I love to do without getting bored or tired ever - it is making different types of flat breads aka parathas.:-P Weird? So.. with lots of cooking and a big dose of back to back Pretty Little Liars episodes.. we said goodbye to weekend!  

Spiced Yoghurt Cake

Today's recipe, the Spiced Yoghurt Cake was baked on Thursday evening. If you have been following me on instagram, most of the desserts and bakes are done on Thursday to snack on during the weekend. :-) The very day I found the Panna Cotta with Yoghurt recipe, I was looking out for more Yoghurt based sweets and this caught my eye. The recipe was playing in my mind and kept thinking of how to jazz it up. I did not want vanilla nor just cardamom, I stood staring at my spice cabin and there it is - the bottle of Orange Blossom Water that I had picked along with the pomegranate molasses. Time to give it a try! It is used in flavouring dishes across Mediterranean, Middle East and North African countries. You may not like it at first taste.. but gradually you will start loving it. It is an acquired taste and I have come to like its distinctive flavour and aroma. 

Spiced Yoghurt Cake

I baked on stove-top but this time used my 2 litre pressure cooker. I just placed a baking sheet inside the cooker itself and poured the batter directly into it. So, my cake is 2 inch tall and there is a tiny dent in the middle that was caused by the knob underneath the pressure cooker's lid. It took almost 50 to 60 minutes and the result was a perfectly baked cake that is so soft when you slide the knife through it. It is big enough to serve 2 servings for 4 and stays good for several days. 

Now for F's verdict... he said it needs to be more sweet, but it was perfectly fine for me. He was expecting it to be a cake with frostings et al, but this is more like a cake you can have with a cup of tea or coffee. I relished it more than him, because I had two slices of this cake as my breakfast yesterday! :-D

Spiced Yoghurt Cake 

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup full-fat yoghurt
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder

METHOD:

Oven Bakers: 
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and prepare your baking dish. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. (from the source)

Stove-top bakers: 
  1. Place a flat pan (pizza pan) on medium flame
  2. Line a 2 litre pressure cooker with baking sheet
  3. Whisk together the yoghurt, olive oil, sugar, egg, and orange blossom water with a hand whisk taking care of removing brown sugar lumps 
  4. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cardamom and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well
  5. Add the flour mixture little by little into the yoghurt mixture while stirring until no lumps remain. Do NOT over mix. The batter is thick. 
  6. Transfer the batter into the prepared pressure cooker, close it with its lid and remove the weight or regulator
  7. Place the pressure cooker on the hot tawa/pan and forget it for first 20 minutes 
  8. Then reduce the flame to low and let it bake until you get the waft of the flavour packed cake in the kitchen - total time is about 50 to 60 minutes 
  9. When a toothpick comes out clean, swtich off and transfer the cooker to the counter and remove the cake by lifting it off and leave it cool for 10 mins on a rack
  10. Serve the cake warm or at room temperature
  11. When well-wrapped, this keeps very well for several days. (I had baked this on 21st and I still have a portion)
This pic was taken on Friday morning with natural light...
Spiced Yoghurt Cake

Those who avoid using nutmeg, can skip it. Using nutmeg in Islam is questionable, but it is sold in KSA and I got it from Al Khobar. It is never sold as 100%, but is mixed with pepper I think. I had transferred from the original plastic bottle, so have no clue about its composition. Orange Blossom Water is available across Middle East, if you are not able to find one, you can  substitute with rose water and orange extract or just orange zest for closer flavour.

What new flavours did you try recently?

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery