Bottle Gourd Dill Leaves Paratha

Thursday, January 28, 2016

At last, we have WiFi! Yay!

I was using my phone hotspot all these days because the internet services we had was limited and some days failed to work. The mobile internet recharge costs 200 riyals for 5 MB for a month. So I got too frugal and F tagged me as "Kanjoos" but if not me, who else will help in saving right? When we saw a service provider lay their Fibre line near our building we decide to wait for it and apply ... we had to wait for almost 4 months and many visits to their office to get an application done. Last night they came and drilled all three of my walls to get the line to the living room and by the time it was done it was past midnight. : potatoes :-O But I woke up to a wifi on my phone! Yay!

I never thought I would ever make Louki Parathas as I am never attracted to it. I have no idea why... maybe because of the ambiguity around the way to use it.. like right at the moment when my knife meets the tough skin.. a doubt arises "should the skin be peeled?" and once cut into half.. "should the white spongy thing be retained or removed?" "how much can be retained?" So many different schools in how to use Louki! :-D  I am better off without it if only this wasn't in-laws fav.

Louki/Bottle Gourd/Opo Squash was introduced to me by my umma (mil) through her signature dish Louki Yoghurt curry. My mom must have used it in her curries, but I hardly knew my veggies those days other than potatoes :-P So now that I have the time and passion, I am ready to try making a paratha with Louki. 

image updated on 13th March 2017
Bottle Gourd Dill Leaves Paratha

Dill leaves are my favourite and were introduced to it me by my room owner while I stayed in Bangalore. It was never seen in my home but here in Yanbu there is an abundance of this and so you will see me adding it in most of my cooking.

There are different ways of folding and rolling parathas and the method I used here is the easiest one. I have used ghee throughout the cooking process, you can use oil too. I served with yoghurt, lime pickle and some onions. You can serve with any light on stomach curries or salads too. The spices are added so that it gives an oomph factor to the boring or no taste louki. The nutritional benefits of this vegetable are something we cannot miss so adding it to our diet is essential.

Bottle Gourd Dill Leaves Paratha


Louki Suva Paratha | Bottle Gourd Dill Leaves Paratha

INGREDIENTS:

1 and 1/2 cups grated lauki
2 green chillies finely chopped
1/2 cup tightly packed chopped dill leaves
1 teaspoon carom seeds/ajwain
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds powder
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon oil
salt as required
Water - if required
Ghee or oil as required for roasting the parathas

Louki Suva Paratha | Bottle Gourd & Dill Leaves Paratha

METHOD
  1. Wash, peel and grate the bottle gourd in a bowl - I removed the white spongy part inside. 
  2. Add all the ingredients and mix well using hands
  3. You will not need water as the juice from the lauki/bottle gourd is enough to knead. If the dough becomes sticky, then add some more flour and knead again. 
  4. Divide the dough into 8 to 10 equal balls and cover it with a cloth or lid. Let it rest for about 10 to 20 minutes 
  5. Take a dough ball, dust the work area and the rolling pin with some flour and roll it out into a thin disc. Now, you can either go ahead and cook this as is or continue to make a special paratha by applying ghee and folding as shown.  
  6. Repeat this for all the dough balls 
  7. Roll them into a square dusting with flour when required 
  8. Roast them on a hot pan/tawa with ghee on both sides 
  9. Serve hot with any gravy or raita and pickle 
Louki Suva Paratha | Bottle Gourd & Dill Leaves Paratha

F being the man of few words, astonished me with "one of these days, make some of this same paratha for my office colleagues" - this is the first time he asked me to cook for his office people! I was flying high and high until he said.. "not with pickle and yoghurt.. you have to make some non-veg curry!" it was like a bullet hit.  Okay.. so what shall I make? - its been days and I haven't received an answer and I guess the order is cancelled too:-( I want to believe that he is concerned about me having to cook a large amount.. it is nothing wrong with my curries:-P

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery