Healthy Banana Muffin Bundt-ed

Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Bundted because I used my bundt shaped silicone mould in the perfect size which is good for two. I got bundt and heart shaped silicone muffin tray from LuLu Hypermarket at Khobar last October. Why is it is so difficult to find a small sized cake pans? beats me! Though I am late to join the bandwagon of silicone cookware, I must tell you it is perfect for a healthy start. I do not know the cons of using this, but at least as it does not require to be greased, and the cakes comes out perfectly easily, and it can be used on stove-top too - I had to buy them.

It is a week since I started on the journey of living healthily and I feel so sore!  My whole body is aching :-) But yeah didn't you hear the saying.. no pain. no gain? So with that note, here is the recipe for the long awaited bundt cake I had shared on instagram. It is muffin batter in a bundt mould. I somehow hate to cook up my fruits, I do it only when there is excess or its is getting too ripe. Banana muffins were my first muffin that I made and so this time I wanted to try in the silicone moulds. My first trial on the heart shaped moulds were a disaster.

It is not fun to bake on stove-top because it takes a lot of time and we have to keep constant check and find the right heat etc. But then it is better to have a cake than not at all. I adapted the recipe from the baking encyclopaedia, Joy of Baking. I made it a little bit healthy by adding wheat flour and brown sugar. If you do not have cinnamon powder, you can use cardamom powder as bananas go too well with cardamom. You can use normal white granulated sugar if you are okay with it.


As you can see in the picture, it burnt a little but had no impact on the taste. #stovetopbakingproblems and I did not get any good pictures of the heart shaped muffins.

Off to the recipe...

Banana Muffin

Makes - 1 medium bundt and 4 normal sized muffins

You will need:

Dry Ingredients: 
1/2 cup chopped almonds (or walnuts)
1/2 cup of wheat flour
6 tablespoons of all purpose flour
6 tablespoons of brown sugar (or normal white)
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
a pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder (or cardamom powder)

Wet Ingredients:
1 large egg beaten
1/4 cup butter melted and cooled
2 ripe bananas or 3/4 cup mashed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Directions: 

Baking mode details:
  • If you are baking in an oven then preheat the oven to 180°C 
  • For stove-top, place a flat pan on low flame. (I keep my stove-top pizza pan)
  • Silicone moulds does not need to be greased, anything else, please grease them
Prepare Dry Ingredients: 

  1. Toast and chop the nuts coarsely (you can use ziplock bag and rolling pin)
  2. Large Bowl - Add all the dry ingredients except the nuts to a sieve and sieve into the large bowl - wheat and all purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon powder. The brown sugar tends to get lumpy so ensure you powder them well through the sieve. Now add the chopped nuts. 
Prepare Wet Ingredients:
  1. Smaller bowl - Add the beaten egg, mashed banana, melted butter and vanilla essence. Combine until incorporated well 
Wet to Dry:
  1. Fold in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients in the large bowl - DO NOT over fold. Just enough to combine all
  2. Spoon into the silicone moulds (just fill 1/2 to 3/4 of the mould leaving space for it to rise) 
  3. If you have excess batter, put them into the fridge until you need them for next batch
  4. Bake
Oven Bakers: Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test

Stove-top Bakers: 
  1. Place the silicone mould into a thick bottomed pot which has a lid with a hole (or you can use pressure cooker without the regulator on). 
  2. Keep this on the already flat pan that in on low flame. Do not open the lid for the first 15 minutes. 
  3. On low flame, it took me almost 50 minutes. (I cooked up my dinner by this time :-)) 
  4. Once it passes the toothpick test, take the pot off the pan and carefully remove the fully done muffins. You can remove from the moulds easily and dip them into a plate of sugar while warm and let it cool to room temperature before you can enjoy a bite! 
TIP: To use the silicone muffin tray on stove-top cooking, single them out by cutting along so you have 6 single heart shaped moulds. This way you can place more in the pot.

Walnuts go better with banana and reminds me Daily Breads Banana Walnut slices.. do they still make it as yummy as I had? My Bangalore friends can answer that... :-P 

I keep trying different ways to bake on stove; pressure cooker, non-stick pots and pans, all take almost same time which is so much more than oven. But the end result is a yummy cake that you eat mindlessly and go to sleep peacefully. :-P

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery