Beef Samosa

Friday, January 08, 2016

Samosas... Have you met anyone who does not like this golden triangle filled with spiced meat and deep fried in oil? I haven't and don't want to meet either. :-) The most number of samosas I had must have been at the school canteen for sure! Those days of sheer unbridled joy of eating! Now we have to think twice to have a second one.. isn't it? I always wanted to learn making perfect samosas but used to get so confused with the folding patterns and resort to the easy way of just filling and sealing the sides! :-P

When my little brother-in-law got engaged last year, we had arranged a tea time party at home for some of the men and umma said that we got to make snacks and chai. I think that was the first time I made samosas and that too almost 30 to 40 numbers. I couldn't say no, nor say I dont know! The stuffing could be taken care of, but the wrapping was what worried me. Being at in-laws I really wanted to get it right so checked and checked and watched so many youtube videos. That day I followed the rectangle shaped sheets, I did them from scratch and Alhamdulillah, it came good though not uniform in size or shape :-P and they were all over in no time. Never attempted it again until this one here after almost seven months.... now how did I get back to making it?

At the supermarket here, F tends to search the frozen counter for some ready made snacks.. guess old habits die hard. It is revolting to have him pick frozen food when I am there! (yeah, you know..me) I go behind him asking why are you picking frozen snacks, ask me.. I will make them for you! For which he said then make! He was right, I somehow refrain from making deep fried snacks. And then couple of months went by without making them when once again he resorted to frozen snacks and I went on mute this time! We fried them as per pack instruction and it was so bad and not worth my oil or time... so to stop him from wanting to get frozen snacks, I decided to take the plunge and sort my inhibitions with wrapping samosas... that's how these triangle thrones were born!

I had already done my research and made notes to make these on a Thursday evening as he comes home by tea time. I referred to Raks video for the folding instruction. I wanted to share from where I learnt instead of taking the effort to replicate the same thing. For this recipe, I used beef chunks, cooked and shredded them. You can use any minced meat and follow the same masala.

The brown spots that you see happened because it touched the bottom of the pan. So, ensure to use a big kadai and enough oil to prevent the brown spots. But trust me, it did not impact the taste! I have used 1/4 cup wheat flour just for a feel good factor!



You will need: 

For the Dough:
1 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour 
1/4 cup wheat flour 
1 teaspoon nigella seeds (Kalonji)
1 teaspoon salt 
4 tablespoon ghee melted
Water as required 

For the Stuffing: 

Cook and grind: 
500 grams of beef chunks
1/2 teaspoon of red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
a pinch of nutmeg powder
1 tablespoon of coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
Salt to taste

Sauté and add grounded meat: 
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion diced
1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
2 to 3 green chillies
A handful of chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 tablespoon of chopped dill leaves
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Oil to deep fry

Directions: 

To make the dough:
  1. In a large bowl, add flour, salt, nigella seeds, and ghee and give a good mix 
  2. Add water little by little and start kneading to make not too soft dough (it should not be sticky)
  3. Cover and keep aside until needed
To make the stuffing: 

If you are using minced meat, then you can skip this step and add the minced meat directly to the kadai after sautéing the onions etc. 

Cook and grind: 
  1. Wash and drain the beef chunks
  2. Add them into a pressure cooker with the spice powders and cooked them until done.(4 to 5 whistles, check and cook more if needed ) Let the pressure cool by itself.
  3. Remove the lid and ensure that there is no liquid, if there is then cook in open until dry.
  4. Use a spice grinder to shred the beef chunks
Sauté and add grounded meat: 
  1. Heat oil in a kadai
  2. Sauté the diced onions 
  3. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté until the raw smell is gone
  4. Add the chopped green chillies
  5. Add the shredded beef and mix well
  6. Check for the salt and add more if required
  7. Remove from heat and mix in the fresh coriander and dill leaves and lemon juice 
  8. Let it cool
Fill and Fry
  1. Divide the dough into 6 or 8 equal sized balls ( depending on the size of samosas you want to make) Each ball of dough will yield 2 samosas
  2. Use rolling pin to spread the dough ball into a slightly oblong shape (it is ok if its circle)
  3. Use a knife and cut into two equals from the middle (you should have two crescent shaped)
  4. Smear water on the edges of the crescent shape (this will help to seal the samosa)
  5. Hold the two tips and bring it to overlap the straight cut side (this will form a cone) 
  6. Seal by slightly pressing the joint
  7. Fill the cone with 2 tablespoons of prepared stuffing or 3/4 of the prepared cone
  8. Make a single pleat of the curved side and attach it to the sealed side (ensure to pinch and seal)
  9. Repeat for the other piece of the rolled dough and the rest of the dough balls (cover the filled samosas to prevent it from drying)
  10. Heat enough oil to deep fry 
  11. Test the oil and adjust the heat and fry 
  12. Serve hot with a cup of chai and may be with some tomato ketchup
I would still recommend you watch the video to get an idea. This is the simplest samosa wrap one can start with. Next time, I got to nail the rectangle sheets.. 

Yields: 16 samosas, some small and some huge.. :-) I served only 7 in the plate but F had served the rest too while I was checking the phone and in no time everything was over! We skipped dinner, there was no space for it!


By the way, wrapped by yours truly but fried by F :-), you see I give due credit.. Happy Weekend!

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery