Ari Dosha | Rice Crepes

Thursday, January 21, 2016

I am sure most Keralites grew up eating rice or rice items for breakfast, dinner and lunch... its almost the same case for any South Indian home and we were much healthier and and fit then isn't it?. Then when and why did we become so hostile to white food? and replaced them with brown? I too almost avoided eating rice and all rice items for so long, totally ignoring my body's need. But did anything change? No. I am no dietitian, nor a white food hater.. I love rice and I make it a point to add it to our menu more often these days. What really makes any difference is being more active physically...What made us will never break us. So eating local, seasonal, and what our body is used to since we were born is what we need. Food is never our enemy, it is a life giver. White is Nice.

Ari dosha or rice crepes is home to Malabar cuisine. Again there are so many different variations exclusive to each family. My Mom makes this quiet often for dinner and weekend breakfasts along with some non-veg curry. I am very very poor with Malayalam names of rice and still struggle recognising different rices that she uses. Pachaari, puzhagalari.. blah blah.. never made sense. Every time I had to ask her what are they.. and finally she just said "Pachari is what you make rice to eat for lunch.. " She really gave up on me with that.:-P I love her dosha and wanted to recreate them here. As I use only long grain rice, mom's ratio of rice and cooked rice never worked well consistently and I always ended up with muddled up or uncooked doshas. The ratio of raw rice to cooked rice is the make or break factor.

 Ari Dosha | Rice Crepes

When F's friend's mother from Kasaragod visited Khobar, she made Kalthappam for us. The taste instantly reminded me of my moms dosha. I got the recipe for Kalthappam from Shab's blog and made quiet a few times with beef curry!  For making Kalthappam, the entire batter is poured in a deep pan and cooked and resembles a cake. But this time I used the same batter minus the extra onions to make these crepes.. and it worked so perfectly fine. It actually brings in almost the same taste of Mom's ari dosha!

 Ari Dosha | Rice Crepes

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup white basmati rice (or any long grain rice)
1 cup brown basmati rice (for the white food haters. Others can replace with white rice)
1 cup cooked basmati rice
2 cups of cold water
1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/3 cup of dessicated coconut
1 large onion
1/2 medium onion diced
Oil to cook the crepes

METHOD:

  1. Wash and soak the both the rice together overnight or at least for 4 hours
  2. Drain the soaked rice 
  3. In a large blender, add the cooked rice, soaked rice, fennel seeds, onion chunked, and 2 cups of cold water 
  4. Blend until smooth and pour into a large bowl
  5. Add salt, dessicated coconut, and 1/2 onion diced 
  6. Heat the tawa or non-stick pan 
  7. Pour a ladle of batter and either swirl or just leave it as is 
  8. Sprinkle some oil
  9. Cover with a lid for a few seconds to let it cook
  10. Open and slowly release the sides with spatula and flip the crepe to cook the other side
  11. Remove from pan when done 
  12. Repeat with the rest of the batter 
  13. Serve with any non-veg meat curry - I prefer with thick beef or chicken gravy. 
I have tried both with and without brown rice and there isn't any significant taste difference. Makes at least 10 to 15 doshas. Now, this has become my ari dosha style :-) What's yours?

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery