Agra's Bedmi Poori

Sunday, January 31, 2016

When we went for our first ever long vacation two years ago, we chose to be at Agra. Those who have been following my blog from day one would know that we were living apart pursuing our career while I waited for a visa to KSA. It took almost a year before I could join F in Yanbu. I wanted to cover all the incredible tourist locations in India with him and so started with Agra.

So  off to Agra to watch the Taj and ended up eating countless Bedmi pooris at the hotel restaurant. We never got bored of having bedmi pooris all the days we stayed there. Being foodie, I have always associated a vacation time with the food I relished. We try most of the spread and have our personal favourites by the time we check-out. Bedmi poori was one of them but unfortunately never got to have it ever and almost forgot about it.

Agra's Bedmi Poori
with poori bhaji

When I saw this post, I was instantly reminded of our vacation and the hot bedmi pooris we got served each morning. As I did not have certain ingredients in that recipe I just gave it a miss until I came across this site which I used to make these pooris. I then made the aloo debki from Farruk's blog to go with the it. The second time I made these on a weekend for brunch.. along with some south Indian poori bhaji so got to click a day light picture and actually haven't done a minuscule of editing... am too lazy these days.. and with the wifi, I have so many series to catch up! :-P

Agra's Bedmi Poori
with aloo dabki 

Those of you who never had Bedmi Pooris, it resembles our good old wheat flour pooris but has more flavour of the dals and spices. In this recipe, I used both mung and urad dal, you can just use one of them too.

Agra's Bedmi Poori

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups wheat flour
1/2 cup semolina
2 tablespoon Oil
1/2 cup split moong dal
1/2 cup spilt urad dal
Salt to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
2 to 3 green chilli
1" ginger grated
Water to knead
Oil - to deep fry 

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Soak the moong and urad dal in the water for at least 2 hours
  2. Drain the water and add it into the blender along with ginger and green chilli.
  3. Grind it to form a paste but not too thin and transfer to a bowl
  4. Add salt, coriander powder, red chilli powder, and garam masala and mix well
  5. Add flour and semolina along with some oil into the dal paste
  6. Start kneading with luke warm water to form a tight dough
  7. Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes
  8. Knead the dough with greased hands and make equal sized balls
  9. Heat oil in a pan.
  10. Roll a dough ball into a flat disc not too thin 
  11. Deep fry by flipping and turning the sides, till golden. 
  12. Repeat for each dough ball 
  13. Serve them with Aloo Debki or any bhaji
This recipe yields a lot of pooris and I lost the count :-P. I stopped after we had enough and so had some dough leftover. With the leftover dough, I tried making chapatis for my breakfast next day. It was good when eaten hot out of tawa.. else tends to become hard. So I can assure that this recipe will be enough for at least three foodies with awesome appetite!

Agra's Bedmi Poori
Agra - The Taj Mahal

So, that's my story behind Bedmi Pooris, what's yours?

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery