Vermicelli Pudding | Seviyan Kheer

Monday, December 28, 2015

I am actually working on setting a few personal goals that will help me see through 2016 healthier and happier. Must say that I have already began warming up so it gets easy and consistent. The focus will be on health and that comprises mainly weight loss. Duh! I am serious this time. absolutely serious.

Back at my in-laws, when we had a planned guest Umma asked me to make semiya payasam. My only other experience of making it was when I was here in Yanbu the first time. I had made it good, just that it used to get really thick when its gets cold and I told F that it is a pudding type of payasam :-P So I warned her about that, but she asked me to make any which ways.. guess she just wanted me to get something done. :-P To my surprise it came perfectly well and she was all praise for it. And guess what? She asked me for the recipe! that took me to cloud 9! ---- Ever since that day, making semiya payasam became my task. Well I never failed in making the same way each time.. and I was so glad that they loved it.


The consistency of a payasam is a very family personal thing. Some like to have it in a glass and drink, some like it thick enough to gulp it down and some like F wants it thick to scoop. This recipe is not my usual one, this is totally done for a change and I was noting down the ingredients while making this.

This recipe uses evaporated milk, you can replace it with sweetened condensed milk and reduce the sugar. The simple ratio is 1 cup vermicelli needs 1 litre of liquid (milk, water, etc) Add the water in parts so you have more control on the consistency that you need.

Vermicelli comes in different types, I have used the real fine ones that are long and breaks easily. If you are using thicker and short ones, then please adjust the liquid accordingly.

Vermicelli Pudding | Seviyan Kheer


Ingredients: 

1 tablespoon ghee
10 cashews or any other choice of nuts
2 cups of fine vermicelli
2 cups of milk
1/4 cup of evaporated milk
1 and 1/2 cup of HOT water
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/2 teaspoon rose water (optional)
a pinch of Saffron threads crushed
3/4 cup of sugar (this is very sweet so reduce the quantity as per your taste)

Direction:

  1. Heat ghee in a wide and deep non stick pot 
  2. Add the chopped nuts and vermicelli
  3. Roast them until golden (be careful not to burn it too brown)
  4. Add milk, evaporated milk and water and let it boil on medium flame
  5. Add saffron threads and sugar on high flame 
  6. Reduce to medium flame when it starts to bubble 
  7. Sprinkle cardamom powder and rose water 
  8. Stir until the the mixtures leaves the sides of the pan. The consistency is not runny or cakey.. its soft and scoopable (if that is a word :-)) 
  9. Serve warm or room temperature

With the temperature falling to 17°C sometimes it is totally OK to enjoy a warm bowl of sweet kheer...

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery