Penne in Arrabbiata Sauce with Chicken Chunks

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

In order to make time for other activities or let me call it responsibilities:-P, I tend to blog a post alternate days. Yesterday I had to do the post on saving fresh greens on my friend's request though it was free from blog day. So, ideally today I could have done a bit of my ever pending crochet project of a blanket, or read some actual books, or fold the laundry, press his shirts, etc. instead I am here again... :-P As I am here, I shall share a quick recipe that I strongly recommend.

Penne in Arrabbiata Sauce with Chicken Chunks


My close friends and family know my love affair with pasta. I think I have already rambled about it enough. So like I had promised myself in this post, I am getting back to making Italian-inspired pasta. The main reason I am documenting this recipe is because we loved how this turned out and there was no leftover.at.all. I was so glad because I was making these after a long time with a help of roughly hand written recipe which had no measurement... So when I made this, I carefully noted down the recipe. The actual colour of the cooked dish did not translate well on the photograph. This is the best way I could present it here after a little editing. So off to the way I made this...

Updated Image 17th Jan 2017

When I made this back in 2015, I had no knowledge about different pasta sauces. Upon reading more food articles, I learnt that this sauce I used to make is Marinara and as there is Chilli in it this can be tagged as Arrabbiata. Hence I updated the title to reflect the same.

Penne in Arrabbiata Sauce with Chicken Chunks

Penne in Arrabbiata Sauce with Chicken Chunks

Yields: 2 to 3 servings

INGREDIENTS: 

200 grams boneless and skinless chicken breast
1" Cinnamon Stick
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup water

1  1/2 cup of penne pasta cooked as per packet instruction

For Arrabiata Sauce:
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion finely diced
3 garlic cloves finely diced
2 tablespoon tomato paste
2 fresh tomatoes puréed
1 long carrot shredded
1 to 2 teaspoon oregano
1 to 2 teaspoon basil
a handful of chopped parsley
1 teaspoon of sugar/honey
1 to 2 teaspoon of black peppercorn grounded
2 tablespoon pine nuts grounded (optional)
1/4 cup chicken broth (you can use the water from the cooked chicken)
Chilli flakes as per taste * more the better
Salt to taste

Choice of cheese shredded (I used cheddar)*Optional
2 to 3 tablespoons of finely diced  red and green pepper (capsicum)

METHOD:

  1. Cut the chicken breasts into small cubes
  2. Cook the chicken breasts chunks with salt, pepper, cinnamon stick, a bay leaf and little water until done and keep aside
  3. Let the pasta cook while you work on making the sauce 
  4. Place a saucepan or deep pot on medium heat and add olive oil
  5. Add diced onion, shredded carrots, chopped garlic and some salt and pepper - sauté  
  6. Add tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes 
  7. Add the tomato purée along with parsley - mix well and close the pot to cook for a 15 to 20 minutes stirring occasionally
  8. Open and add the dry herbs, ground pine nuts, chilli flakes along with sugar and mix 
  9. Add the chicken chunks along with a 1/4 cup of the broth and mix well
  10. Close and let it cook on low flame for 10 to 15 mins (keep stirring in between) until the sauce thickens to desired consistency
  11. Stir in the diced red and green pepper
  12. Fold in the well drained pasta carefully into the sauce until well coated 
  13. Sprinkle shredded cheese while hot and some more chilli flakes
  14. Serve hot with garlic bread or toasted bread 
Penne in Arrabbiata Sauce with Chicken Chunks

Even though the addition of pine nuts is optional, I recommend you try that as it gave very nutty flavour, We had this for dinner, and F could not wait for the garlic bread that I had planned to make after he arrives...so, we had this without any accompaniment and still wiped clean. So go ahead and make these..

Penne in Arrabbiata Sauce with Chicken Chunks

.update 17th Jan 2017 - I prepared this last night for dinner and this time I had no bread to make garlic bread :-( would have made the pictures complete.

This image here reminds me my early blogging days where I used to click the images on the kitchen counter in the night. I was never happy with the image even then and so made this last evening to capture while the sun is still on.. I am glad I did. What do you think?

Penne in Arrabbiata Sauce with Chicken Chunks


You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery