Overnight Oats | Four Steps

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Even though I know Oats is a good meal in itself and aids in weight loss, I still hate to have it hot. I always prefer my cereals in cold milk. But there was this phase right after I got engaged when I totally never gave into cheat days. I am sure my then flatmate J was having a hard time trying to tempt me to get pizza. But I use to stick to my one small bowl of cereal for morning and oats for the night which I make in the microwave and keep it in the fridge for a few minutes before I eat. I never knew of overnight oats then. This along with my daily workout at the gym was more than enough to get to a healthy weight by my wedding day. I had shocked my entire family with my weight loss and now. I have gained all that and more. But still have not been able to get to the bowl of oats as a meal. The very thought of making oat use to put me off because I used to get hungry again...

Weekday breakfast for F is always ALWAYS yoghurt parfaits... because he does not like milk. I add fruits and cereals into a bowl of yoghurt with a dash of honey and done! Until I found the overnight oats recipes floating in every food blog I came across. I was so glad to know something that does NOT require cooking!

As usual, I found it first on Raf's blog. Basically, this is prepared with rolled oats. It was a new term to me. You can read this article to learn the differences. Rolled oats are not available in the supermarkets here, so I decided to go with the instant quick cooking oats. Ever since I started making these overnight oats, I never got bored of it!

PS: In the image, I have not mixed everything to give a clear picture of the layers.

So, if you want to give oats a second chance, here is a basic idea of making overnight oats. You prepare the base, add sweetener and fruits with some crunchy toppings and mix. Done. It is like having ice cream but a healthy one. :-)

Overnight Oats | Four Steps 

1. Base:

1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup yoghurt
1 tablespoon water

2. Sweetener: (anyone)

  • 1 tablespoon honey 
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar 
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter 
  • 1 tablespoon Nutella 
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder 
  • 1 teaspoon of any jam
  • 1 teaspoon of any flavoured syrup 


3. Fruits, Dry fruits, and Nuts:
Need I say? you can add any fresh cut fruits, or dry fruits like apricot, fig, dates, raisins etc. and nuts like almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, etc.. Whatever you have in hand, will do.

When adding Avocado to prevent it from browning, mix it with the yoghurt. You can also add a tablespoon of desiccated coconut with banana and berries, I bet you will love it.

4. Toppings: (any one or all)

  • Granola
  • Muesli 
  • Cereals 

Direction:

  1. In a tall glass or a jar, add the base ingredients and mix well 
  2. Add your choice of sweetener (you can choose to add chia seeds, flaxseeds etc here) 
  3. Add your choice of chopped fruits, dry fruits, and nuts, and mix everything with a spoon and cover with cling film or just any small plate and leave it in the fridge overnight
  4. When you want to eat, take it out and add your choice of toppings and mix well and enjoy! 
This helps mostly the people who have to rush to work, they can take this along and eat on the way.. and others like me full time at home, can still make this ahead and have any time. I usually eat my share for lunch. There is no rule, apart from the base. You can increase the amount but retain 1:1 for oats and milk and yoghurt. 

If you have any other ideas, please do share your comments, I would really love to know. 

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery