Macaroni | Indian Shtyle

Tuesday, December 08, 2015

A lot of my cooking basics outside my home cuisine were picked up during my life in Bangalore. One of them was eating pastas! (read again, not cooking :-P ) I fell in love with lasagne and bechamel sauce also called as white sauce which is my all time favourite. We used to dine in or home deliver from Little Italy and Veekes &Thomas, and then my best friend and flat mate J used to cook pastas on my demand even on a lazy weekend...and M made it for one of my Birthday...So you see, I never had to make pastas as it was readily available or loved ones make them whenever I wanted it... A more serious pasta cooking happened when I moved here to this land of opportunities! Yeah, it is in a way, don't you think?

My first Italian food experience in KSA was at Al Khobar, there is none in Yanbu (Duh!)  Absence of certain things that you crave for, brings the best out of you and pushes you to the limit where only finger lickin good can please and nothing less than that. Isn't it? I started to make bechamel sauce pastas, and used to add loads of cheddar cheese and then moved on to make with tomato base.. slowly even made garlic bread to go with them. I am so thankful that oregano, basil and all that you need to make pastas are always in-stock in Yanbu super markets. :-)

Macaroni | Indian Style


F loved it and that was the only dish which I cook with eye-balling... Somehow too much of it just made me give them a rest... its been three months since I am back in Yanbu and I haven't made those pastas yet. Instead, I make this macaroni in Indian style. My mom makes this differently. She adds the macaroni to beef or mutton curry and the whole dish is rich in gravy. At some friend's place it was served like haleem which was over cooked macaroni is a meat stew. I have made my this version quiet a few times, so I guess its time to put this to rest and get back to my bechamel and pestos or try my mom's recipe...

Hence I decided to post this recipe lest I forget how to make this Indianized macaroni when I am done with Italian. The recipe ratio is not rigid, you can add more or reduce the total veggies, chicken or just add a scrambled egg at the end. I like to retain the vegetable color so I do not add too much water. The moisture from the veggies and the chicken is enough to get them cooked..

Macaroni | Indian Shtyle


Yields: 2 servings 

Ingredients:


1 cup elbow pasta  (4 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, and a teaspoon of oil)*

2 tablespoon ghee
2 cardamom pods
1 inch cinnamon stick
2 cloves
1 bay leaf

1/4 cup mint leaves chopped
1 to 2 chicken breasts cut into smaller pieces  OR 2 eggs beaten
1 large onion thinly sliced
2 cups of mixed veggies (Carrots, beans, frozen green peas, potatoes, zucchini) You can use in your desired proportion.)
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
1/4 cup of water

1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala/tikka masala
2 tablespoon lemon juice

1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves chopped

Directions
  1. *Cook the pasta as per the packet instruction and drain the  pasta in a colander 
  2. Heat ghee in a pot
  3. Add the listed whole spices and fry for a few seconds
  4. Add the mint leaves, chicken pieces, sliced onions, ginger garlic paste, and tomato paste
  5. Sauté this for one to two minutes and then close the pot with a tight lid on a medium flame
  6. Add the veggies and saute it for a couple of minutes 
  7. Add all the spice powders except for the garam masala and mix well 
  8. Add up to 1/4 cup of water and close and cook for 4 to 5 minutes 
  9. Use a wooden ladle to fold in the drained pasta into the prepared mixture 
  10. Once each pasta is coated well, sprinkle garam masala and lemon juice 
  11. Keep the flame at the lowest 
  12. Keep a tawa/pan on the flame and then the  pot with the lid closed tightly on top of the tawa - this will infuse the flavour into pasta and prevent the bottom from getting burnt. (something similar to dum process)
  13. Check if the veggies like potatoes and chicken pieces are cooked
  14. Fold in the fresh chopped coriander leaves 
  15. Serve Hot with tomato ketchup or Tabasco chilli sauce

Note:

  • You can use fresh tomatoes instead of tomato paste
  • You can use Kabsa spice powder instead of garam masala 
  • If you are using egg, add it hard boiled and sliced or scramble and add them to pasta 
Macaroni | Indian Style


So there you go.. I am sure there are so many other ways to make Indianized macaroni. Share your ideas and let me know your pasta story.

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery