Kerala Egg Roast | Curry

Friday, December 04, 2015

It is Friday! And why on earth am I doing this post today of all days? It is the weekend here and well the unimaginable is currently happening.. we finally got a plumber who was willing to come today and fix all our faucets' pressure issues. We have been living with the lowest pressure on shower and faucet which used to kill my patience every single day! This same issue has kept my washing machine as new as we got from the store a year ago! If everything works good, I will have a super functioning bathroom and washing machine! :-) They are here working on it now while I am locked inside the bedroom writing to share this amazing recipe! Thanks to the laundry guy who was so helpful to get us this plumber's contact even though it would pinch his business.

Today, I am sharing this egg roast which can be made into a curry by adding coconut milk. Egg curry is never in my mind or in any meal plan unless I run out of all options. To me eggs are for bakes and breakfasts, somehow to make curry never occurs though I have loved having it at home. I have made egg curry each time referring different blogs as I was never happy with the outcome. Somehow, it just didn't seem right... until I found this recipe on Shab's blog, I did a few tweaks to it, else it is totally inspired by her recipe.

updated image: 24th Nov 2016

Kerala Egg Roast | Curry


My mom makes a yellow colour egg curry where the eggs are not hard boiled but just dropped into the hot bath of gravy which is then simmered for a few minutes when the eggs get cooked with the flavours of the curry. That is usually served with orotti (some call it pathiri) which are my most fav combo. She even adds drumstick leaves into that curry.. so eggs and greens.. that is healthy, isn't it? Hope to make that sometime soon...

So the egg roast curry, let me warn you this is a spicy curry with loads of onions and coconut oil. I have made this more than a couple of times just to ensure I get the same taste again. You can skip the addition of coconut milk to have egg roast, adding the coconut milk gives it more flavour and gravy, so make it, either way, I am sure you will love it.

A Tip, I use the cheese hand grater to grate ginger and garlic, it is a very easy way and most efficient way to get the most out of the ginger and garlic. Even for my morning tea, I use it to add some grated ginger, this way there is a control over the usage and wastage. And regarding the curry leaves, I envy all the people who have loads of curry leaves, please remember me when you are using too much of it :-( I have a batch of curry leaves dried which I got from Khobar a month ago.. so I use them sparingly.

Moving to the recipe...

Kerala Egg Roast Curry 

INGREDIENTS

4 hard boiled eggs
1 egg beaten (optional)
3 cups of thinly sliced onions (roughly 2 large or 3 medium-sized onions)
2 green chillies chopped
2 springs of curry leaves*
1 large tomato
1 tablespoon ginger grated
1 tablespoon of garlic grated

1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder or Paprika
2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder

2 to 3 tablespoon coconut oil
3/4 cup of water

4 tablespoon coconut milk powder
1/2 cup hot water

Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon garam masala

METHOD: 

  1. Heat the coconut oil in a pot/Kadai
  2. Add the thinly sliced onions 
  3. Add the chopped green chillies 
  4. Add a few curry leaves 
  5. Add a little salt 
  6. Sauté this mixture for about 20 mins in low to medium flame. 
  7. Add the ginger and garlic and sauté until the raw smell of these is no more 
  8. Add the chopped tomato and give it a mix 
  9. Cover the pot with its lid and let the tomato get cooked along with the onions - 2 to 3 minutes 
  10. Open and add the spice powders 
  11. Add water and cover the pot again - cook for 8 to 10 minutes 
  12. Meanwhile, prepare the coconut milk by mixing coconut powder with warm water (or if you can extract the milk from fresh coconut, nothing like it) 
  13. Slice the boiled eggs into two or you can slice each into four too. that's your choice 
  14. Open the lid and add the beaten egg and mix*
  15. Add the prepared coconut milk, sliced eggs, and sprinkle the garam masala and cover again
  16. Now holding the pot, lift it and give it a swirl so that the eggs get coated
  17. Let it boil once
  18. Reduce the flame and cook for 2 more minutes 
  19. Switch off 
  20. Serve hot with chapatis, parathas, appams, etc. I think it goes with anything. :-P 
* I add this one egg beaten to make the gravy egg flavoured.

Kerala Egg Roast | Curry


Now, get to make this and let me know your thoughts...

The plumbers are still here. and it seems like a building issue.. down floor people are also asking for this plumber! 

Thank you for reading, now that's all from Yanbu. Happy weekend and stay safe!  

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery