Fenugreek Leaves Flat Bread | Methi Paratha

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Fenugreek Leaves Flat Bread | Methi Paratha Edited on 24 April 2017

Update April 2017: These days I prepare Methi Paratha in a slightly different way which I strongly believe is much better than the recipe I had stated here. I was in a dilemma whether to make a new post or update the existing one and went with the latter option because I don't want any recipe listed on the blog that I don't recommend or make again. The ingredients for the Methi Paratha largely remain the same except the method. Any new addition of text is italicised and irrelevant content is struck off. 

Fenugreek Leaves Flat Bread | Methi Paratha

Before I talk about this delicious easy to prepare Fenugreek Leaves flatbread of Methi Paratha, let me share my weekend events. I enjoyed this weekend as there was no part of me screaming for F's attention. On Friday, we got a take away breakfast from a Yemeni restaurant where only men can enter. I have begun to love their Malawah which is different from the usual Kubz. It resembles our Lachaa Paratha, but haven't been able to locate a recipe for it yet. Maybe I should push him to get it from the chef there. Update: Queen of Sheba Yemeni blog has the recipe for Malawah.  I also made popcorns perfectly this time on stove-top and that was our late lunch.

Saturday was more interesting as I got to pick a new stainless steel sauce pan and couple of interesting crockeries. I am not the hoarder kind of a blogger yet and am pretty sure I won't be either. But then I realised all my food pics are going to be on the same coloured plates, that is not interesting, right? so I guess it is okay to indulge in shopping a few unique pieces to adorn my food. Now, I need to figure out different locations and background in my home that can be a click-worthy. Somehow, blogging about food has gotten me into learning more about photography. It ain't surprising at all. I simply love to walk beside the bakery aisle in the supermarkets here. The aroma of freshly baked bread is out of the world. So we had almond croissants and date filled bread for breakfast, followed by Hyderabadi chicken biryani for lunch and finally ended the day with Frey chocolate while watching The Holiday movie. 😊 I hope you too had a great relaxing weekend.

Another paratha recipe from Yanbu! Methi paratha was the first dish I made in my Yanbu kitchen back in 2014 as there were no provisions to make gravy in my new home. Since then, I have made a few tweaks and this is how we like it now. F hates green leafy veggies but I am slowly adding these into our food habits for obvious reasons.


Fenugreek Leaves Flat Bread | Methi Paratha

The highlight of this paratha is that it is not stuffed, instead, you cook a spicy methi masala and add to the flour, knead, roll, and roast - done. How easy is that? Methi leaves that pairs so well with garlic and onions with all those spice powders makes this paratha a standalone dish and does not need any accompaniment. Just some yoghurt to wash down the heat! 😋

Fenugreek Leaves Flat Bread | Methi Paratha

Fenugreek Leaves Flat Bread | Methi Paratha

Yields: 8 to 9 Parathas

INGREDIENTS

2 teaspoons oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium sized onion, finely diced
4 to 5 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped finely
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
2 cups methi leaves
1/2 teaspoon chaat masala
2 cups wheat flour

salt if required as chaat masala is salty
water - if required to make the dough
Ghee or butter to spread 

Fenugreek Leaves Flat Bread | Methi Paratha

METHOD

  1. Heat oil in a shallow pan over medium heat then add cumin seeds and let them splutter
  2. Add the chopped onions and grated garlic, fry until garlic starts to brown and onions become golden
  3. Add the spice powders and sauté again for few seconds.
  4. Add the chopped methi/fenugreek leaves along with salt and chaat masala. 
  5. Stir and cook the methi over medium flame until wilted and reduced moisture.
  6. Switch off and transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside to cool completely.
  7. Once cooled, add them to the bowl of whole wheat flour and start rubbing the mixture together between your palms little at a time. 
  8. Start adding a little water at a time to bring the dough together and knead to form a firm and smooth but not sticky dough. You can grease your hands with oil while kneading or use more flour if it gets too sticky. 
  9. Divide the dough into equal sized balls 
  10. Heat a tawa 
  11. Roll each dough ball into a flat thin paratha and place the rolled out paratha on the hot tawa and cook both sides with or without spreading ghee. (I used very little on each side)
  12. Keep the cooked paratha over a cup or towel to prevent it from getting soggy underneath
  13. Serve as soon as possible with yoghurt, pickle, onion chunks, etc.
Fenugreek Leaves Flat Bread | Methi Paratha


I have picked Molokhia leaves this weekend, hoping to find some interesting recipe. So what are your favourite greens?

I have a Molokhia Chicken Stew recipe on the blog that I posted right after this for the New Year. 😇 If you noticed, I just figured how to get emoji included in the post! After almost 2.5 years of blogging LOL

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my photos on tastespotting
my foodgawker gallery