Beet Carrot Cake with Pistachios and Raisins | Stove-top

Thursday, December 24, 2015

In spite of having so many other things that I want to share, I opt to share this cake that I baked yesterday. I could not wait any longer as this is totally my creation and I am so proud of it. I know its the holiday season in the rest of the world... but there is zero vibes of it here but this cake just lifted my spirit up and has boosted my confidence too well. I blame the internet because it is cakes and cookies all over everywhere I go...

One of my friend casually mentioned the other day that she never bakes cakes because she ends up eating too which is detrimental for her health. I had then told her that she should bake at least for her kids. But you all know self control is stamped out when we see delectable food served am I right?. That conversation was lingering in my mind for a few days until I had posted this on instagram. She quickly asked what I am making out of beets. So that got me thinking its been a long time I baked with beets.

I usually make stir fried veggies for dinner and I had two beets and one carrot left. This time I chose to grate them instead of chopping... because I was too lazy to be too careful to adhere to my too picky hubby. Yeah he needs veggies chopped neatly of same size and not too big etc.. so grating helps isn't ? The sight of the mount of finely grated beets and carrots, screamed that they should go into a cake. So quickly stored a portion of beet and all of the carrot and stir fried the rest. F did not like it. He still prefers the chopped version.. humph... Thankfully I had stored.

Waiting for F....

Time to bake. I first sat down to decide what I want to add into the cake. Wheat flour, carrots and beets, and usually carrot cakes are made with some spice. I have cinnamon powder, but no walnuts. I have almonds but was too less. I had cashews but that is too precious for me to "test" a recipe. After a lot of contemplation and checking pantry.. I decided to go with a middle east inspiration. Cardamom powder, Pistachios and raisins. I would have added rose water but F is not fond of it.

The big chunk that I gobbled... 

I also chose to make the cake on my non-stick sauce pan and it was perfect as it had a lid with a hole that works perfectly for baking on stove-top. I always use my flat pan as the base that will help in evenly distributing heat to the batter in the sauce pan. You can use any stainless steel flat lid too. I set the flame to the lowest, and continued with my dinner prep when checking occasionally through the glass lid. I must tell you it is so exciting to watch the cake rise. In an hours time, the cake had started leaving sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted had come out super clean. I then flipped on to a plate and slid it back into the pan so the top side is browned during the cooling time with the help of the heat in the pan. What is it with the aroma.. yum!

The folded-in stuffs has not sunk down.. they are spread across the cake... 

I just could not wait for F to arrive, for two reasons. 1. I always cut the cake after he comes home. 2. I love to use his phone to capture the baked goodness :-) but I had zero patience and before I could realize, I was munching on a big chunk...

Ok time for the recipe!

Beet Carrot Cake with Pistachios and Raisins | Stove-top


You will need: 

1/4 cup pistachios
1/4 cup raisins
1 1/4 cups finely grated beet and carrot (any ratio)

1/2 cup all-purpose flour (you can replace this with whole wheat flour or semolina)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoons ground cardamom

2 large eggs
3/4 cup of granulated white sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Direction:

  1. Prepare the baking pan (grease, baking sheet etc. ) (I greased my sauce pan)
  2. Place the flat tawa/pan on low flame (this is to pre-heat) 
  3. Toast the pistachios and then the raisins lightly on a pan
  4. Crush the pistachios (I used a rolling pin and ziplock bag)
  5. In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cardamom
  6. In a bigger bowl use electric mixer or a hand mixer to beat the eggs until frothy 
  7. Add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored (say about 3 - 4 minutes)
  8. Add the oil and then beat in the vanilla extract. 
  9. Add the flour mixture and beat just until well incorporated. 
  10. With a rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots, beets, pistachios and raisins ( do not over mix) 
  11. Pour the batter into to the prepared dish and place it on the hot tawa/pan
  12. Bake for an hour (check every 25 mins, as it depends on the stove)
  13. Insert a toothpick or a knife, if it comes out clean then you cake is ready
  14. Switch off and take the sauce pan to the kitchen counter
  15. Run the the blunt side of the knife around 
  16. Place any plate on top of the sauce pan and holding the plate firmly, tip the cake on it by flipping. Slide the cake back into the saucepan with the top part facing down (this is to brown/dry the top part)
  17. Let it cool for a few minutes
  18. Cut and serve warm or room temperature

Tip: Ground a batch of cardamom and stock it for quick use. For every 1/2 cup of whole cardamom, add a teaspoon of sugar and use a spice blender to ground it.

While I was cutting the cake, I realized that I would have preferred to bake this cake in a loaf pan if using an oven. Just a thought. Also, as my sauce pan was deep and not wide, the cake was a really tall one.. so if you want to have short ones, then divide the batter and bake in two pans.

As I already gobbled a big chunk, I waited for F to join in for my next share. I also convinced him to take the rest to his work place the next day. But before the dawn, there is nothing much left to pack :-|

This is how I served F...

Happy Holidays! Even though we do not celebrate xmas, we used to benefit from the long holiday during schools, colleges and even while working! So have a safe and fun filled holidays with your love ones and this cake!

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery