A Stove-top Cherry Cake

Thursday, December 17, 2015

I am not at all a fan of baking cakes on a stovetop. But when I get that mood to have cake, all the troublesome steps becomes excitement and pleasurable. There is nothing better mood lifter than a sight of a perfectly baked cake from your own kitchen with no oven. Introducing my version of Joy of Baking's Cherry Cake. 

Update: 3rd June 2017: New images of Cherry Cake on Stove-top

A Stove-top Cherry Cake

This week just flew by and it is already Thursday and in a few more days it will be the year end! In no less time, the so-called 'resolution' articles will start showing up everywhere. Have you thought about it? I am not a resolution maker, probably a big time breaker. However, this time I would like to call it goals rather than resolution as it gives me more control and sense of being accountable. Even though we have no idea where life will take us, I still do a certain planning and have an idea of what I want to do and by when. Rest, I leave it to the Almighty.

Update: I made this cake again for Iftar on 2nd June 2017 after a year and a half! Used a loaf pan this time.  

A Stove-top Cherry Cake

This cherry cake was just a reason to finish off the cherry stock. I love my fruits as is and try to have it in its fresh form as much as possible unless they are not good on its own (read berries). After having loads of cherries in overnight oats and fruit salads, I wanted to make something out of it because I own a food blog. 😈I tend to go for the simplest cake because baking on stovetop itself is time-consuming and making a fancy one is out of the question. I did not have to do a lot of scouring the internet as I straight went into Joy of Baking's site and searched Cherry and landed on this recipe tat I halved. Healthy eating is good, indulging in a homemade rich moist cake is better. Agree? This cake is rich in melted butter and almond flour so the so called eggless and butterless and flourless cakes can wait for another day!

A Stove-top Cherry Cake
(look how well the cherries are distributed on the slice! Glad they did not sink as feared)

After watching the endless stream of food pics on my social media feeds, I tell him, 'I need an oven. period.' and in just a couple of days, I change my mind. (see, two minds!)  Contemplating if I need to get or not because if I do, then I am doomed. I would make all sorts of bakes and roasts, and what not and end up eating too much which in turn can be detrimental, right? Anyways, I will think about it.

A Stove-top Cherry Cake

Do you know how to pit cherries? I followed the same method to pit stone fruits to pit cherries, but this video will give you the perfect way to pit cherries faster. The first method shown was the way I did, as it was just a handful of cherries.

Stove-top baking can be tricky but once you know your burner's mind then it is easier to have a control. I had burnt muffins when I thought I can increase the flame and make it faster. So be aware of the flame strength, keep the cooker on top of a flat pan which will help distribute the heat evenly. Keep a watch on the nozzle of regulator holder, if you see droplets of water popping out, then it is time for you to check the cake. 

The taste is exactly the same but look how different the images are. LOL. I can't believe I showcased this old picture to the world with the same enthusiasm I have now. How innocent! 
A Stove-top Cherry Cake

The mini loaf pan is a hero for my portion controlling phase.
Adapted from Joy of Baking. I have used a mini loaf pan that gave 6 slices of cherry cake.

A Stove-top Cherry Cake 

Yields: Servings for two (ok, room for one more) that's all.

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup butter
12 to 15 cherries
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup almond flour (grind 2 to 3 tablespoons of whole almonds for the flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
6 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 tablespoon milk

METHOD 
  1. Prepare the baking pan (grease it with butter or oil and flour or keep baking sheets)
  2. Melt the butter and keep aside to bring it to room temperature 
  3. Wash and pit all the cherries
  4. Place 12 to 14 pieces of halved cherries on a sheet of paper towel, cut side down (this is to be placed on the top of the cake after partial baking)
  5. Cut the rest of the halves into quarters (as these will be folded into the cake batter)
  6. Beat the egg and sugar with an electric whisk for about 3 to 5 minutes on medium to high speed or until it gets creamy in texture 
  7. Add vanilla essence
  8. Fold in the melted butter, then the milk, then the flour mixture in small batches and finally the quartered cherries 
  9. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan
Stove-Top Bakers:
  1. Place a flat pan or comal on the stove burner on a very low flame. Over this pan, place a pressure cooker (big enough to fit your cake pan) 
  2. Place the batter filled pan inside the pressure cooker and close it without the regulator/weight and let it bake for 20 to 30 minutes
  3. Open the cooker after 20 to 30 minutes and check if the top wobbles or is firm to hold the cherries. This is to ensure the cherries don't sink. If you find it is not done at all, then bake for a few more mins and then place the halved cherries cut side down all over the top. 
  4. Close and let it bake for another 30 to 45 minutes 
  5. Test the cake's doneness by checking the middle of the cake with a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. 
  6. Remove from the pressure cooker and place it on wire rack and let it cool completely
  7. Slice and serve warm or room temperature 
I noticed that loaf pan took more time to bake than the round pan I had used last time. Keep a close watch on the pressure cooker nozzle for signs to check the cake. 

Oven Bakers
Please check this site for details.

A Stove-top Cherry Cake

We had these melting in mouth, soft and crumbly pieces of cherry-filled cake without any guilt.  I know this post has become a photo heavy one! lol but trust me I have spared you from more. These are the best of the lot.

A Stove-top Cherry Cake

I usually end with the note that no oven should not be a reason not to bake but honestly deep inside me I know it is a pain. :-) But no pain no gain right?

You'll Also Love These

0 Thoughts

Share your thoughts, I would love to know more..

Gallery

my foodgawker gallery